Transferring to secondary in less than a week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket_man

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I brewed a blonde last Sunday (3 days ago) and pitched on top of a yeast cake (1st gen) from another batch. It has been bubbling away nicely on primary. I just found out that I'll have to leave town for over 2 weeks this coming Friday. I was wondering if I should transfer to secondary before leaving (5 days into brewing date) or just leave it in primary for that time. I normally would leave it, but the fact that I pitched on top of so much yeast already is making me a little worried. Any experience with that?

Thanks a bunch!

First step: break yourself of the notion that secondary usage is necessary. For example, I only use it to clear a batch that has been fruited before packaging or if I need the fermentation vessel for another beer and the first one needs to age (ie. sours). Any other time and you run the risk of contaminating or oxidizing the batch, as RPh mentioned.

Step 2: leave your beer until you get back.

DRINK IT NOW!

Just kidding. My beers'll stay in primary bucket till I have time to bottle/keg them. Can be 2-5 weeks.

Latest posts

Back