Decoction question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinstone

Reaction score
If I am doing a single decoction for a helles, would I reduce the carapils and Munich amounts found in a typical recipe?

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what would you expect to happen by reducing certain grains? I've done a decoction mash on a beer I previously brewed without a decoction. It was the only change I made to the recipe. It added a slight bit more flavor and body (only slightly) to the beer. I didn't even think about tinkering with my grain % at all.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what would you expect to happen by reducing certain grains? I've done a decoction mash on a beer I previously brewed without a decoction. It was the only change I made to the recipe. It added a slight bit more flavor and body (only slightly) to the beer. I didn't even think about tinkering with my grain % at all.

I was thinking that if I did a decoction in a Munich helles which is a straw colored beer I might get a color that was too dark if I kept the Munich malt at the same level as would be used in a non decocted beer. From what I have seen a typical decocted recipe includes a very low percentage of Munich etc compared to a beer that is a single infusion mash etc. in other words, can I get too dark of a beer with too much body if I decoct a recipe like

10 lbs pils
.75 lbs Munich

From brewing classic styles.

I guess the question I would have to ask is "are you more concerned with the color or the taste?" Although I don't think it's going to harm it at all if you knock down the % just a touch or even by half. OR you can brew it using the recipe you want and if it doesn't turn out right, I'll help you get rid of it so you can brew up another batch.

I am asking this because I am looking at the helles book by dornbusch and I have noticed that for a 5 gallon decocted helles the grain bill is

97.5 percent pils
2.5 percent carapils.

And I think that the recipe is spot on. I don't think it will be too body heavy. That should be a real clean finishing beer.

I guess the question I would have to ask is "are you more concerned with the color or the taste?" Although I don't think it's going to harm it at all if you knock down the % just a touch or even by half. OR you can brew it using the recipe you want and if it doesn't turn out right, I'll help you get rid of it so you can brew up another batch.

I'm always happy to send samples! And I am worried more about taste than color......so did you perceive a positive difference by decoction? How many decoctions did you do?

Thanks

I've seen some recipes go as high as 10% of a specialty grain. But I believe those to be a bit more of a sweeter, not as dry and body heavy pilsener. Heck, give it a shot. What's the worst thing that is going to happen?

You see any head retention issues with the 97.5 % pils recipe?

I don't want sweetness, but I want malty! I'm thinking this might work.

I've done a few decoctions. Some turning out much better than others. I've done a few using lighter bodied recipes, like the one you're using. I've also attempted to utilize a decoction for dark beers. I figured, why the heck not? I've always wanted to see what would happen, or if anything would happen with the darker beers. But the best results definitely come from pilseners or lagers. No doubt about it. They simply taste better. But given that most of the grains we use are well modified enough, there is always a question as to how much a decoction actually does for the overall beer. But if you have the time to do it, do it. Then write about it.

I've seen some recipes go as high as 10% of a specialty grain. But I believe those to be a bit more of a sweeter, not as dry and body heavy pilsener. Heck, give it a shot. What's the worst thing that is going to happen?

I will also be brewing a Vienna, it's a malt bomb to me. I want this bready, and crisp. I'm going with best malz. Over wyerrman for these beers. The best is cheaper by 10 bucks a bag and it seems like it is preferred by most.

I might think that they may be an issue with head retention but I've never brewed this exact recipe before. If you are worried, you can keep your original carapils number where it is. Maybe make it 5% instead of 2.5% or anything in between. I say just go for it and see how it turns out.

I might think that they may be an issue with head retention but I've never brewed this exact recipe before. If you are worried, you can keep your original carapils number where it is. Maybe make it 5% instead of 2.5% or anything in between. I say just go for it and see how it turns out.

Maybe a pound of wheat for a 12 gallon batch?

Back