Strawberry Blonde question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slickers

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a few questions about a recipe I came across in George Hummel's "The Complete Homebrew Beer Book". My wife found and wants me to make the Strawberry Blonde, and the recipe has sparked my interest because it is out of my comfort zone, as I am relatively new to Homebrew. I have made 3 batches so far, but all have been kits, but that is besides the fact. Here is the recipe in question:

1 pack Wyeast 1338 or White Labs WLP011, or Fermentis S-05

1lb Carafoam, Carapils, or dextrin malt

1 lb Vienna Malt

8 lbs Alexander's Sun Country Pale Malt Extract, divided in half

6-8 AAUs Northern Brewer, Palisades or Perle hops for bittering

1 tsp Irish Moss

1 tsp Yeast nutrient

.5 oz Liberty or Mt. Hood hops for aroma

And the obvious strawberry and water, but I'm not concerned about that right now.

My questions, has anyone ever used Alexander's Sun Country Pale Malt Extract? What are the results?

Why does this recipe call for adding 4 lbs of malt to begin the boil, and then the other 4 15 minutes before the boil is over? What does that achieve?

I have never used these hops before, what to expect?

Thanks so much guys, I really do appreciate any help answering these, and any other info that may stick out.

Hope you've found an answer by now; but if not here's my 2 cents. Late malt addition in the boil keeps a lighter color. The longer it boils it caramelizes adding a more amber color. To other questions I have no experience in which to pull.

Latest posts

Back