Total Newbie to brewing.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YaleH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Only experience I have is drinking a lot of Craft Brews!!! ;) I have only been researching and looking at any website I can find. About to buy a kit from Northern Brewer, the Brew/Share kit. From several different reviews I've read it seems to come in on top of list. Any one here have anything good or bad to say about the Starter Kit?

Welcome to HBT! No idea on that particular kit, but what type of craft brews do you enjoy drinking? What method of brewing are you looking at getting in to - all grain, extract, kits only?

Welcome to the addiction! I had not heard of that kit from NB so I looked it up. Here are some thoughts from someone that started with a similarly sized kit. A lot of your decisions on gear will depend on your future intentions (like Gnome mentioned above-all grain, extract, etc.). At first glance, the brew kettle that comes with that particular NB kit is 5 gallons. If you decide to continue down the path (no matter whether it's all grain or extract), you are going to need a bigger kettle. I would first decide on how potentially serious you are about brewing long-term, any space limitations, budget, etc. Then do lots of research on HBT or your local homebrew shop to find gear that you can grow into. No matter what, you will only be able to grow so much into a 5 gallon kettle. There are other kits on the market that offer the fermentation buckets/carboys, bottling equipment, sanitation equipment, etc., without a kettle. IMHO, I would go no less than a 10 gallon kettle starting off (in hindsight). I built much of my all grain set up as I went along (temperature controller, fermentation chamber, mash tun, etc.). There are tons of variables that each of us brewers have...what may be perfect for one would be impossible for another. You'll find tons of help on here...so ask away.

Just bottled a “beer in a can kit” and started a “craft bag” kit. Both simple malt kits using dextrose.

Can’t wait to try my first kit in about a week.

Let the fun begin!

Thanks for tips on kettle size. From what I saw on their video on brewing extract method with recipe that came with kit they used 2.5 gal to boil wort then added water once transferred to fermentation bucket. You're saying if I do a 5 gal grain recipe the kettle won't be big enough?

Welcome to HBT! No idea on that particular kit, but what type of craft brews do you enjoy drinking? What method of brewing are you looking at getting in to - all grain, extract, kits only?
I like most styles but shy away from hoppy IPA but can handle milds. I would say my most go to would be be a oatmeal or bourbon barrel stout. Seen a few clone recipes for founders I want to try. I'll start with extracts but would be willing to move up to grain brewing

Thanks for tips on kettle size. From what I saw on their video on brewing extract method with recipe that came with kit they used 2.5 gal to boil wort then added water once transferred to fermentation bucket. You're saying if I do a 5 gal grain recipe the kettle won't be big enough?
Yes, a 5 gal pot is too small for 5 gal all grain batches. If you get a 10 gal pot, the only additional piece of equipment you would need to switch to all grain is a fine mesh polyester bag for brew in a bag (BIAB) method. If you want to do big beers all grain, a 15 gal pot would be better for BIAB.

Brew on :mug:

As you said, the partial boil (2.5 gallons) works for a 5 gallon extract batch. But it's generally considered too small for all grain. If you're going for a full boil with 5 gallon batches, you will also need to consider your heat source. Most stoves can't handle this.

The siphonless fermenter is popular, but not good if you will be using a swamp cooler for temperature control. I like the 7.9 gallon ale pale with no spigot. It works with a swamp cooler, and for most beers it has enough headroom that you don't need a blow-off tube. Just some examples of why there is no one-size-fits-all answer. There are a lot of ways to go about it.

As you said, the partial boil (2.5 gallons) works for a 5 gallon extract batch. But it's generally considered too small for all grain. If you're going for a full boil with 5 gallon batches, you will also need to consider your heat source. Most stoves can't handle this.

The siphonless fermenter is popular, but not good if you will be using a swamp cooler for temperature control. I like the 7.9 gallon ale pale with no spigot. It works with a swamp cooler, and for most beers it has enough headroom that you don't need a blow-off tube. Just some examples of why there is no one-size-fits-all answer. There are a lot of ways to go about it.

I plan to use a gas burner... have one from an old turkey fryer that should work, have considered the fact of using my indoor glass top stove would not be a good idea. Figure the back lanai would be perfect for brewing. The T.V. and small beer fridge is there so I'll have activities to do while waiting for extract to boil... LOL:cask:

Back