How much change is noticable in flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilv4xn

Reaction score
Will the following recipe changes even be noticable?
CDA 10gal batch
19.3 2row
1.12 Carafa II
1 midnight wheat
1.12 Crystal 10
2oz Magnum 60
.3 Amarillo 10
.3 Cascade 10
.3 Simco 10
.3 Amarillo 5
.3 Cascade 5
.3 Simco 5
.25 Amarillo 0
.25 Cascade 0
.25 Simco 0

I would like to change to the following for easy math reasons. Will it make a noticable difference?

Still a 10gal batch
19.5 or 20 2row
1 or 1.5 Carafa II
1 midnight wheat
1 or 1.5 Crystal 10
2oz Mag
.3 Am 10
.3 Cas 10
.3 Sim 10
.3 Am 5
.3 Cas 5
.3 Sim 5
.4 Am 0
.4 Cas 0
.4 Sim 0

I think you know it won't.

Mmmmm..... the aroma hops ...... those might be noticeably different. But then whose to say that the original values were the absolute best? This would be the difference of eating a egg with 3 shakes of tabasco vs. 2 shakes of tabasco. Who's to say one is better than the other? (Have you ever had a beer whose aroma was *too* hoppy? Me neither.)

The rest... no way.

in my humble opinion, that is.

Your right. I had a gut feeling it wouldn't change the outcome. I do happen to agree that a little kick of extra hop aroma is never a bad thing.

The aroma hops are the only difference you are likely to notice (or maybe you won't) but it'll be like one bowl of soup having more ground pepper sprinkled on it that the other. Or maybe not even that.

It's *possible* to have too much hops and it's possible for one amount to be somewhat nicer than another but it's the mound-heap paradox... adding a few grains to a mound will never turn it into a heap (nor will removing a few grains from a heap reduce it to a mound).

Back