Is my kombucha ok to drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quamquam91

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to kombucha brewing and new to this forum. Hopefully this is the right place to ask my question!

I've been brewing my first batch of kombucha for about three weeks. I started with a mother SCOBY, broke it into four smaller pieces, and put each one in a quart jar of sweetened black tea.

Smaller colonies have sprouted in each jar. I think the tea is ready to drink! Before drinking any of the tea, I wanted to take a picture of the colonies and show you all, to make sure there's no mold or anything else that would make the tea not ok to drink.

Here are all the colonies in a bowl for you to see:

h6ImdbR.jpg

Here is a colony that I'm holding up for a closer look. The brown strands are just yeast, right?

yvJ25DV.jpg

And here is a pearly white colony:

dctFIWF.jpg

What do you think--safe to drink?

It would of been better if you took the photos before taking them out of the container, since now if there was any mold it would be sloshed around in there...

It is very unlikely that mold will grow in kombucha because it is very acidic, which is a hostile enviroment for mold and other harmful bacteria. If you're super worried aabout it, put a tablespoon of vinegar in to boost the acidity a little more. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you're reasonably careful, it should be fine.

Latest posts

Back