Mythology surrounding brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPBISME

Reaction score
Just musing but It seems there is a lot "mythology" surrounding brewing,:

Hot Wort Aeration (not sure but the Germans don't seem to worry about it much and I don’t think I have had a problem with it.)

1. Aeration (I just use a whisk)
  2. Using a Secondary (don’t do this anymore, it can condition in the keg)
  3. Leaving the beer on the yeast cake (don’t worry about this any more)
  4. Using plastic buckets for a long period (use them for 5 weeks (plus) and never have had a problem)
  5. Cleaning and sanitizing (OxyClean and StarSan for me)

Maybe all of the above can be an issue if you have a production brewery that brews a “Ga-billion” barrels of beer a year but as far as I know they don’t really affect the average home brewer.

We don’t have the miles of piping or the behemoth equipment so we don’t have the pressures that they worry about..

Can anyone add to this list or got an opinion?

DPB

hydrating dry yeast vs pitching dry. While it is true that a dry pitch will kill off a large number of cells (perhaps as high as 50%), the remaining yeast use the dead as nutrient... the strong ones feed on the weak LOL... net result; you ferment out in the same time to the same FG. Lag time is slightly increased, but since you are still looking at sub 8 hour lags (mine are usually around 6 hours before clear signs of fermentation) you are well within the accepted time frame.

I have experimented with this on both the home and commercial scale and have come to the conclusion that hydrating is pretty much a waste of time, particularly since it adds another possible avenue of contamination. I throw my yeast into my ferm, xfer cooled wort on top of it and that's it.

Do people search before creating threads anymore?

All of these issues have been discussed ad nauseam.

Do people search before creating threads anymore?

All of these issues have been discussed ad nauseam.

Actually I was most interested in hot side areation.... and I see people asking the same questions over and over... maybe they should have searched too...

How do you become a supporting member and what are the benfits? The only reference I've seen is in peope's avatars, I can't find anything else.

How do you become a supporting member and what are the benfits? The only reference I've seen is in peope's avatars, I can't find anything else.

I believe you are able to upgrade in the control panel of your profile. The benefits are access to areas not on the general forums as well as much better search capabilities. There are others as well but I can't think of them off the top of my head right now

On multiple asked and answered questions - yeah the questions get asked over and over, and everyone has a bit different experience and knowledge, plus data changes, like staying the trub for a long time (2weeks+) Which is now for the homebrew ok.

A lot of the things in the OP's comment/myths are things that were carried to homebrewing from comemerical, and don't aplly because of 2 main reasons, scale and consitancy. Given the smaller scale somethings don't work/can't work/don't apply (staying on trub being one of them). As for consistancy, a business wants its product to be as consitant as possible regardless of the point of sale or location. I mean if you walk into any McDonalds in the world and order a Big Mac with Fries and a Coke, you will get the same thing in everyone of them.

Consistancy. Same with Budwiser or any other beer - even something small like - well a local craft beer for me is Longstreet Stout. Be they large or small, both companies want you to pick up their beer and think 'this is just the same as the one I had last week'. To do that, companies institute processes to eliminate varriables, like always rack off the yeast after FG is obtained. Or Use chemical Q to clean with (not chemical X that creates power puff girls among others), etc. Again repeatable for consistancy.

And if you don't like redundant threads... don't bother reading them.

Over the couple years I've been here,& over 20K posts,I've started to get used to repetitive postings. They're noobs,& often don't realize these questions have ben discussed to death on here. They only know they need answers now. I've learned to take them that way.

unionrdr said:
over the couple years i've been here,& over 20k posts,i've started to get used to repetitive postings. They're noobs,& often don't realize these questions have ben discussed to death on here. They only know they need answers now. I've learned to take them that way.

+1

I wonder what the average "life cycle" is here???? I mean there will always be a bunch of noobs (like me) and some of the old timers must move on

I think it is the circle of life

Circle_of_Life.jpg

Back