Recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikon90s

Reaction score
This is my first go at putting my own recipe together and wanted to know if anyone sees anything blaring that I am missing. Do I have enough DME or wheat or am I missing something?

I have two 3 lbs briess dme and 1lb of weyermann dark wheat malt and 1lb of Franco-belges Carmel wheat malt two types of German hops and some yeast. I plan on putting some orange peals from 5 oranges.

nikon90s said:
This is my first go at putting my own recipe together and wanted to know if anyone sees anything blaring that I am missing. Do I have enough DME or wheat or am I missing something?

I have two 3 lbs briess dme and 1lb of weyermann dark wheat malt and 1lb of Franco-belges Carmel wheat malt two types of German hops and some yeast. I plan on putting some orange peals from 5 oranges.

You have the basic components of malt, hops, yeast, and water, but people will probably need a bit more specific information about type of yeast and type/quantity of hops if you want some more specific criticism.

The hops area German saphirand a German opal and the yeast is a hefeweizen IV Ale yeast (white labs wlp380)

He has 6 pounds of DME.

nikon90s, it will be much easier to help you if you write out a recipe in the accepted form. If you don't know what that is, check out the recipe section for examples.

That being said, the wheat will need to be mashed to do any good. I'm not familiar with caramel wheat but I'm assuming it's similar to the caramel malts made from 2 row so it probably can be steeped. If you want to make a hefeweizen you'll want to use wheat DME.

I do have 8 lbs of DME and will check out the form you are talking about when I get home to my computer. At some point I will no longer have to ask these newbie questions.. So thanks for the help along the way!!

I don't mean like a form that you fill out, but there's a generally accepted way of writing out a recipe that will help us better understand what you're trying to do.

Are you missing something? Yes, water.

Okay, that was snarky. I'm sorry.

Maybe my issue is that you labelled the thread as "recipe question" and then never gave a recipe. Which means this is really an "ingredients question" (namely "do I have enough stuff to put together a good beer"). Sorry if I seem nit-picky but clarity really *does* matter when it comes to having others understand exactly what you are asking.

The answer to your question "do I have enough" is yes, you have extract, specialty grains, hops, and yeast. That's enough. Any other potential questions ("what else would be good?" "How much should I use?" "Will this be work?" etc.) are all unanswerable without us having more information about your intended recipes.

Back