Tonic water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonic Water is just water with quinine according to Wikipedia (I believe it's also carbed, but kegging will take care of that), so if you can add some quinine to some water and keg it, you should be good to go. How much quinine? "To taste" sounds about right to me. Sorry, but I have no idea how to get ahold of quinine.

There's a lot more to tonic water than quinine. The whole point was to mask the flavor.

Tonic water concentrate

1⁄8 cup Powdered Cinchona (quinine) Bark
1 Orange
1 Lemon
1 Lime
1⁄2 tsp. Allspice Berries
1⁄2 tsp. Cardamom Pods
2 cups Water
1 pinch Salt
1 1⁄2 cups Agave Syrup

Instructions

1. Zest and juice the lemon, lime and orange.
2. Combine fruit zest and juice, water and herbs, and boil on high heat
3. Once boiling, let it cool. Strain it through a paper coffee filter.

This produces tonic water concentrate. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of Agave Syrup and a cup of Water to two tablespoons of concentrate to make Tonic Water.

I just use a commercial concentrate from the soda club.

There's a lot more to tonic water than quinine. The whole point was to mask the flavor.

Tonic water concentrate

1⁄8 cup Powdered Cinchona (quinine) Bark
1 Orange
1 Lemon
1 Lime
1⁄2 tsp. Allspice Berries
1⁄2 tsp. Cardamom Pods
2 cups Water
1 pinch Salt
1 1⁄2 cups Agave Syrup

Instructions

This produces tonic water concentrate. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of Agave Syrup and a cup of Water to two tablespoons of concentrate to make Tonic Water.

Thanks, thats way more than I thought it would take. :eek: How it the soda club stuff? Might have to get some stuff from them.

Oh man we can make our own tonic water too?

Geez, is there nothing we can do once we have mastered the holy art of brewing? I think not my friends! Once we have mastered the ancient secrets of fermentation we can do anything. BWAHAHA today beer, tomorrow the world!!!!

(sorry, guys, I got carried away)

:D

I am envisioning homemade tonic water, a fifth of gin, and a half dozen or so limes floating happily in a cool keg...Heck I'd skip the glass and just drink it from the picnic tap!

:mug:

<recipe snipped for space>

Maybe that's why I didn't like the tonic water, I should have got the good stuff with more than just quinine instead!

Oh man we can make our own tonic water too?

Geez, is there nothing we can do once we have mastered the holy art of brewing? I think not my friends! Once we have mastered the ancient secrets of fermentation we can do anything. BWAHAHA today beer, tomorrow the world!!!!

(sorry, guys, I got carried away)

:D

I am envisioning homemade tonic water, a fifth of gin, and a half dozen or so limes floating happily in a cool keg...Heck I'd skip the glass and just drink it from the picnic tap!

:mug:

You'd need at least a handle in a 5 gallon keg :ban:

In all seriousness I couldn't have that on keg...I would end up in jail.

I loves me some gin and tonic....but my sense of inhibition passes out after the first few.

I love tonic
Thanks for the recipe
Do you know any good online sources for quinine?

BTW did you know the gin and tonic was apparently invented by the British when they found themselves having to dring lots of tonic water for prevention of malaria in "the colonies". In those days the tonic tasted much more foul since the dose of quinine was about 10-100x greater

Tonic water concentrate

1&#8260;8 cup Powdered Cinchona (quinine) Bark
1 Orange
1 Lemon
1 Lime
1&#8260;2 tsp. Allspice Berries
1&#8260;2 tsp. Cardamom Pods
2 cups Water
1 pinch Salt
1 1&#8260;2 cups Agave Syrup

Instructions

Zombie post, but how much does the concentrate make? I want to put it in a corney, and don't know if I need to make more than 1 batch.

Thanks~~

Latest posts

Back