To Secondary or Not to Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased a Brewers Best Kolsch kit. I meticulously followed the directions and when I took my OG reading it was 1.040 (the kit said it should be 1.042-1.046) so I was a little low.
Could be a tad too much water compared to how much extract you actually got into the boil kettle.. But still, you are close enough.

What are you measuring the SG with? Refractometers sometimes give the wrong results if you don't correct for the added alcohol for the FG. Hydrometers might read higher if you weren't careful to spin the bubbles off of them when you took the reading.

Don't be shy about starting your own thread for questions. When you tag on to old threads, many might not notice your question and will start answering the years old OP or other responders no longer active. And then things start getting confused.

It's actually considered hijacking the thread. But maybe that's from another day and time back in the days of Compuserve and other early BBS's.

Back