Tired Hands Milkshake Clone - Feedback please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noslenwerd

Reaction score
Seems like there aren't a lot of good clones for a milkshake IPA, but this is my best bet after sending a week reading a few clues found around the internet.

I also will use 2 granny smith apples pureed into the boil (To add pectins).

I plan on splitting the 2.5 gallons into 1.25g, put each in a 2 gallon fermenter. One half I am going to do 2lbs mango puree (after primary fermentation), and one half with 1.5lbs shredded coconut (after primary fermentation).

Opinions please :)

msf780.jpg

I brewed something VERY similar recently. Though I've never had the Tired Hands version, I couldn't have been happier with the way the beer turned out. It was a 6 gallon batch. I used 3 vanilla beans, 4 medium sized green apples, a quarter pound of whole wheat four, lactose, and 8 lbs of mango chunks in addition to my usual New England IPA grain bill.

Sorry guys I just realized I never commented...

I think the grain bill/hop schedule was spot on. The mango turned out great, but the coconut not so much. I added way too much coconut.

I brewed something VERY similar recently. Though I've never had the Tired Hands version, I couldn't have been happier with the way the beer turned out. It was a 6 gallon batch. I used 3 vanilla beans, 4 medium sized green apples, a quarter pound of whole wheat four, lactose, and 8 lbs of mango chunks in addition to my usual New England IPA grain bill.

Can you post recipe ?! Please!

Can you post recipe ?! Please!

I replied to the PM, but I don't mind sharing!

Here's what I brewed

Batch Size: 6 Gal
OG 1.071
FG 1.021
IBU 30
SRM 5

7lbs 8oz 2 Row
2lbs 8oz Flaked Oats
1lb 12oz White Wheat
8oz Carapils
8oz Honey Malt
1lbs 8oz Lactose

I bittered with .25oz Apollo at 60
1oz Apollo at 10
Then a hopstand with 3oz each Citra and Mosaic

As fermentation died down i added 8lbs of pureed Mango. As the secondary Fermentation died I dry hopped with 3.5oz each Citra and Mosaic and added three Vanilla beans

As I said in my earlier post, I added apple puree and whole grain flour to the boil, but I'm not sure any of that is really necessary

I actually emailed Henok from Omnipollo who helped develop this style along with Tired Hands. He replied saying that I should up the oats to 10% and wheat to 5%. He also advised eliminating the 0 min addition and go heavy on whirlpool & dry hop.

Here's what I ended up brewing, looks very similar to the one above:

78% 2 Row
10% Flaked oats
7% Lactose
5% Wheat
green apple puree

0.5 oz Columbus at 60 min for 20 IBU
2 oz each Citra/Mosaic at whirlpool, dry hop with 10 days left, dry hop with 2 days left

Imperial Barbarian (Conan)

5 bl mango puree
1 vanilla bean

There is very little I would change if I would brew it again. It was not overly milkshake-y, but more of a creamier, fruitier NEIPA with a hint of vanilla. I actually preferred that over some of the overly thick and sweet beers I've had from this style. However, if you want it more milkshake-y, just up the lactose, vanilla and fruit.

anteater8,

Were those hop quantities for a 5 gallon batch? Did you do any water additions? Also, how much apple puree did you use? Thanks!

anteater8,

Were those hop quantities for a 5 gallon batch? Did you do any water additions? Also, how much apple puree did you use? Thanks!

Yep those were the hop quantities for a 5 gal batch, 12.5 oz total. I believe I treated my water to be around 100:200 sulfate:chloride. I kind of blew it on the apples, i just diced them up and threw them in the mash. I think Tired Hands uses actual puree in the boil. In any case, I would never add apples to beer again since I prefer this style when its not too thick.

I actually emailed Henok from Omnipollo who helped develop this style along with Tired Hands. He replied saying that I should up the oats to 10% and wheat to 5%. He also advised eliminating the 0 min addition and go heavy on whirlpool & dry hop.

Here's what I ended up brewing, looks very similar to the one above:

78% 2 Row
10% Flaked oats
7% Lactose
5% Wheat
green apple puree

0.5 oz Columbus at 60 min for 20 IBU
2 oz each Citra/Mosaic at whirlpool, dry hop with 10 days left, dry hop with 2 days left

Imperial Barbarian (Conan)

5 bl mango puree
1 vanilla bean

There is very little I would change if I would brew it again. It was not overly milkshake-y, but more of a creamier, fruitier NEIPA with a hint of vanilla. I actually preferred that over some of the overly thick and sweet beers I've had from this style. However, if you want it more milkshake-y, just up the lactose, vanilla and fruit.
Sounds very interesting. When do you add the apple puree? Also, I've read something about adding white flour for more juice-like haziness.

Sounds very interesting. When do you add the apple puree? Also, I've read something about adding white flour for more juice-like haziness.

I used apple in the mash, butI think Tired Hands uses it in the boil. Either way, I didn't use any apple the second time I brewed this and I really don't think its necessary. I wouldn't add flour either, it will contribute to haziness but not flavor or mouthfeel. You'll get a plenty hazy beer with this recipe as is. Here's my more recent recipe, came out great:

11.9 lb 2 Row
3.0 lb Oats
0.8 lb Wheat
1.5 lb Lactose

0.5 oz Columbus 60 min
2 oz Citra Whirlpool
2 oz Mosaic Whirlpool
5 oz Citra Dry Hop
3 oz Mosaic Dry Hop

4lb Peach (frozen & pureed)
1.5 lb mango (frozen & pureed)
2 vanilla beans

Imperial Juice 3rd gen

O.G. = 1.073
F.G. = 1.017

TH declare the ABV as high as 9.7% for their Mango Milkshake but your recipe is about 7. I suppose the mango addition should compensate a bit, right?

I used apple in the mash, butI think Tired Hands uses it in the boil. Either way, I didn't use any apple the second time I brewed this and I really don't think its necessary. I wouldn't add flour either, it will contribute to haziness but not flavor or mouthfeel. You'll get a plenty hazy beer with this recipe as is. Here's my more recent recipe, came out great:

11.9 lb 2 Row
3.0 lb Oats
0.8 lb Wheat
1.5 lb Lactose

0.5 oz Columbus 60 min
2 oz Citra Whirlpool
2 oz Mosaic Whirlpool
5 oz Citra Dry Hop
3 oz Mosaic Dry Hop

4lb Peach (frozen & pureed)
1.5 lb mango (frozen & pureed)
2 vanilla beans

Imperial Juice 3rd gen

O.G. = 1.073
F.G. = 1.017

When do you add mango, peach, and vanilla beans?

When do you add mango, peach, and vanilla beans?

About a week into fermentation was the plan, I ended up adding it about two weeks in by necessity. You also need to make sure you have enough head space for the fruit, I had another ~1.5 lb of mango that I couldn't fit into the carboy.

Back