Non carbonated barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46andbrew

Reaction score
So I brewed an Austin homebrew American barleywine. Primary for 2 weeks secondary 2 weeks bottle conditioned 4 weeks so far. My buddy and I that brew together decided to crack one open to celebrate the Bruins sweep of the penguins. To our surprise there was almost zero carbonation which baffled us both. He's been brewing for about 2 years and me 6 months never had this issue. So what do u guys think?

Big beers like barleywines can take months to carbonate. If you want to ensure timely carbonation then rehydrate a little champagne yeast with the cooled priming sugar.

So if I just don't touch it for a couple more months it should be fine. Why would it take longer to carbonate?

So if I just don't touch it for a couple more months it should be fine. Why would it take longer to carbonate?

Yeast was pretty beat up eating all that sugar you fed it. Now you're asking it to eat even more. It will but it takes awhile.

How much priming sugar did you use?

I used the norm 5 oz that's what the recipe calls for too I double pitched too so it should have had enough yeast

As was stated, by the time the yeast have created and then sat in a ~10%abv environment for weeks they are pretty defeated. The more vigorous ones will do the carbonating work but they are operating in a high alcohol environment and it will take them awhile. It's summer! Brew a cream ale or IPA and bring this one out in the fall. It will be perfect by then.

I used the norm 5 oz that's what the recipe calls for too I double pitched too so it should have had enough yeast

I use much more in mine 7-8 oz. Everybody seems to use less but I don't get good carbonation in any of my beers with the recommended 5 oz.

8 ounces of sugar in a 5 gallon batch will give you an EXTREMELY over carbonated beer. If that is what you're using I am going to have to insist that your scale is bad. I usually use 4 and get good carbonation.

Holy crap 8 oz priming sugar that's nuts. Anyway thanks for all the info I'm brewing ipas and pales right now just wanted to try the barley but I'm going to wait till sept or oct to try another

8 ounces of sugar in a 5 gallon batch will give you an EXTREMELY over carbonated beer. If that is what you're using I am going to have to insist that your scale is bad. I usually use 4 and get good carbonation.

Good digital scale and not one of my beers has been overcarbonated. I live at 6,000' but don't know if that has anything to do with it.

jungatheart said:
Good digital scale and not one of my beers has been overcarbonated. I live at 6,000' but don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Really weird..

Back