Tinctures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Kinda a brewing topic.....
How long can I expect to keep tinctures?

Currently I have two; one mint and a habanero. Both were made with cheap vodka and both have been filtered off the mint leaves and habaneros.

Usually I make a small amount like a cup or so. This time around I made larger batches of about a quart each.

The habanero has already been used in a few meads and ciders. The mint tincture will probably be used in a porter or stout.

What's the shelf life?
Do I need to worry about headspace in the mason jars?

Thank you kind gentlemen and ladies.

I’ve had a couple of bourbon vanilla tincts going for 6 or 8 months and only open and sniff them when I stumble across them in there dark cool cabinet. I don’t have a scientific answer but seeing as the flavoring components were added to vodka I feel degradation happens slowly. Sample by sniff and taste and if all seems to be right use or hang onto for later use. They should last quite awhile

I still use tinctures that I've had for going on two years, no degradation. It's a whiskey based, spiced tincture. My infused vodka (fruits) is still good from well over a year ago.

...I think you'll be fine

Kickass and TwistedGray,
Thanks for advice. I figured it would be good for a while. Like I said I usually use them up real fast so it's nice to know I can hang on to them for a while.

Latest posts

Back