Headed to Santa Barbara/SLO in mid-July

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AustinBrewDawg

Reaction score
SWMBO and I got ourselves invited to a wedding in Santa Monica in mid-July and we decided to make a vacation out of it, rent a car and drive up the coast a bit. We plan to stay 2 nights each in Santa Barbara and SLO and I know next to nothing about either place (other than they look really cool).

Are there any must see beer destinations in the general vicinity of either of these places? Seems like it's more geared toward the vino on the surface. In previous Cali trips, I've managed to visit Stone, Lost Abbey and Iron Fist and have also tried Russian River (PtE) and Bear Republic brews. What else should I make a point to try? I pretty much like all styles as long as it is a good representation of the style.

What say? Any can't-miss microbreweries/tap rooms in the area?

I'll throw in my vote for Manrock brewing company, in Grover Beach. A small place with pretty tasty beers. They don't have food, but you can grab a sandwich a couple doors down and bring it over, the owner is real cool.

+1 to Firestone Walker. My wife and I drove down the coast highway from San Fran and started to head inland when it got dark. Luckily Firestone Walker was right at the 101 from where we were coming from. Top 3 stop on a two week California beer trip.

Aaron

Tap It Brewery is in SLO at least a few years ago they were just starting up then only had a APA and IPA on tap at the time but still pretty good.

SLO is looking like "San Diego North" these days, there are TONS of breweries in the area. Figuoera Mountain, Manrock, and Tapit are my favorites. Tapit now has more beers on tap, I believe an IPA, APA, American Standard, Amber, and Oatmeal Stout. The Firestone in Paso Robles is more impressive than the one in Solvang, in my opinion (better tour and a newly renovated restaraunt).

Actually just wrapped up a brew trip of the area myself. For the Santa Barbara area I would definitely recommend Island Brewing Co. Out of Carpinteria for a small little brew shop just a little bit south. Also, the Brewhouse in SB is a nice restaurant with some good food and pretty decent brew.

Outside of Firestone near SLO definitely give Central Coast Brewing a shot. Jim, the owner is an awesome guide and loves to chat about anything brew related. Real tasty stouts and ryes to go along with that also

Thanks everyone! I definitely can't wait to try some of these places. If any of you are ever in Central Texas, I can give you a full beer agenda as well.

Latest posts

Back