Thoughts on Saison Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HB_ATL73

Reaction score
Any experience thoughts on using Motueka/Nelson Sauvin hops in saison?

Timing/dosage? Not a good idea at all?

I'm thinking <1oz total for each about 30 min addition and maybe a 5 min addition.

I use Nelson pretty regularly. A little can go a long way. I generally use a bittering charge, followed by additions at 15 minutes and 5 minutes. Total IBU will be about 25 to 30. Then I'll dry hop with 1 oz (4 - 5 gal batch). Honestly, with my last batch, I found the Nelson dry hop to be overwhelming. After 4 months, it is finally tamed in the bottle to the point where it is much more enjoyable.

I did a saison with motueka recently and its the best beer I've ever made.

I'd save all the motueka for flame out and dry hop (if you are into dry hopped saisons like I am).

Don't waste it earlier in the boil, plus you really don't need the extra IBU. Saisons will be very dry (assuming you are mashing low and yeast is highly attenuation) so the IBU should be pretty low. Just a small dose of magnum or something similar at the beginning for bittering is all you need for early boil.

Nelson is way more powerful than motueka. Use half the amount of nelson vs. motueka

Below is my recipe is for a 10 gallon batch. Actual FG was 1.002! I threw all the aroma hops in at flame out, covered the lid and turned on the chiller.

https://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/1639269?&doid=5deef26b45c1b

note: I made a large starter as well

I did a saison with motueka recently and its the best beer I've ever made.

I'd save all the motueka for flame out and dry hop

https://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/1639269?&doid=5deef26b45c1b

Thanks for sharing the recipe! Wow I don't think I will be hopping my saison with over a pound of hops but maybe ill try upping the hopping rates with the Motueka. Should mention I've never used the hop before. I usually shoot for mid 20s IBU for a saison- haven't dry hopped one yet but ill save the Motueka for whirlpool or a dry hop and give it a try

I use Nelson pretty regularly. A little can go a long way. I generally use a bittering charge, followed by additions at 15 minutes and 5 minutes. Total IBU will be about 25 to 30. Then I'll dry hop with 1 oz (4 - 5 gal batch). Honestly, with my last batch, I found the Nelson dry hop to be overwhelming. After 4 months, it is finally tamed in the bottle to the point where it is much more enjoyable.

Thanks for the advice- that's the trend I'm reading- that Nelson can be overwhelming.

Also, 4 months... Too long for any keg of mine! I like to turn over a variety of beers :rock:

Thanks for the advice- that's the trend I'm reading- that Nelson can be overwhelming.
Hops are also very batch dependent. I think my last batch was a little too "catty" for my preference. Most of the Nelson that I have used have been very much on the white wine side of things. In fact, the Nelson saison is one of my beers that my wine-loving family members tend to like best.

I recently did a super dry simple Saison with Tettnanger because its what i had in my fridge. Actually came out quite tasty and unique. Heavy saison characteristics, with a pleasant blend of earthy bitterness, floral characteristics, and a tiny hint of fruit

Thanks for sharing the recipe! Wow I don't think I will be hopping my saison with over a pound of hops but maybe ill try upping the hopping rates with the Motueka. Should mention I've never used the hop before. I usually shoot for mid 20s IBU for a saison- haven't dry hopped one yet but ill save the Motueka for whirlpool or a dry hop and give it a try

Keep in mind my recipe is for a 10 gallon batch. So you would cut the hops in half for 5 gallons. Basically 4oz flame out & 4oz dry hop per 5g.

I wouldn't hop the hell out of a saison with just any hops though. The motueka went really well with the yeast profile. Of course you could make a perfectly delicious traditional saison with less hops.

With nelson I wouldn't use more than an ounce in the dry hop or more than 2oz at flame out per 5g

Back