This years club contest paddle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rumwrksw

Reaction score
Something a little fun and different I made for this years club contest prize paddle. I do fear it may be a bit tricky to clean... but it was fun to carve.

Back
IMG_20170311_093205729_zpsow3mvsgv.jpg

Front
IMG_20170311_093215872_zpswiqhymmx.jpg

Clavicle :pipe:
IMG_20170311_0932341261_zpsvgz9eyqr.jpg

wowsers. That might be the coolest paddle I've seen. As a person who's snapped one in half before, I'd be worried about actually using that thing. I'd probably break it around the elbow joint.

That looks like maple grain. Pretty hard wood. What did you carve with?

wowsers. That might be the coolest paddle I've seen. As a person who's snapped one in half before, I'd be worried about actually using that thing. I'd probably break it around the elbow joint.

That looks like maple grain. Pretty hard wood. What did you carve with?

Yeah the elbow is possibly concerning but I overlapped the joint so there is some overlapping structure on either side of it so... fingers crossed :) The winner was planning to use it eventually so I suppose I'll find out one way or the other :tank:.

The one I made last year was most definitely a wall hanger because I completely failed at re-enforcing the handle-bowl/paddle section so it was super week there (luckily the winner did indeed just hang it on the wall).

This was actually in alder because I procrastinated until the week before so needed something softer to work with otherwise it would have been in maple (which was my original plan). This one was just roughed out on the bandsaw and then cut down with a small handful of hand chisels. Somewhere right around 20 hours start to finish.

Latest posts

Back