This doesn't look right

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtrogers14

Reaction score
3 days post brew and still no active fermentation. Found this strange looking film in the carboy this morning. Is this a wasted batch?
beer.jpg

You're concerned about the film on the side of the carboy?
Can you get a clear shot looking through the neck at whatever's on the surface?

Cheers!

You're concerned about the film on the side of the carboy?
Can you get a clear shot looking through the neck at whatever's on the surface?

Cheers!
Its not ON the carboy, its a film on top of the beer itself. Here is a better pic, not great but best I can do
film on beer.jpg

While that's obviously a rather sad "3 days post brew" krausen, it's pretty rare for a brew to be visibly screwed in that same very short post-pitch time.
What strain was used, how old, how much, and what temperature is that carboy sitting at now?

Cheers!

Yeah, not "normal" 3 days post pitch by any metric I'm familiar with.

This is 1318 pitched 7pm yesterday running at 65.5°F wort temperature. That is a prototypical krausen around here...

juicy_bits_6_04nov2020_sm.jpg

So...something ain't right, imo, but there isn't enough detail given to have a clue what...

Cheers!

I am going to re pitch, I have had my suspicions about the yeast from the beginning

I am going to re pitch, I have had my suspicions about the yeast from the beginning
Repitch with what? I wouldn't wait too long, and another pack of the same yeast may well have the same problem.
What were your suspicions?

British ale
Is this a liquid yeast? How old was it? Did you make a starter?

It was a wyeast liquid packet. It did not inflate much after activation. It it starting to slowly pick up so I think I will let it ride.

It was a wyeast liquid packet. It did not inflate much after activation. It it starting to slowly pick up so I think I will let it ride.
If the foam is getting thicker, that's a good sign.

Even a super fresh pack of WYeast or White Labs only contains around 100 billion cells, it's downhill from there at around 10% per month. Not counting for mishandling on her way to you. Other brands offering 150-200 billion cells suffer from the same demise. IOW, they need starters too, you just start out with more cells.

So, please, start making yeast starters a few days to a week before brewing. There are a few methods, plenty of reading around.

Making starters will:
a) Prove viability
b) Increase cell count, and
c) Allow you to overbuild cell count so you can save some out for a future batch.

BrewUnited's Yeast Calculator

Back