Thinking of a 10 Gallon kettle conversion, ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydlaw

Reaction score
I am thinking about converting my 10 gallon (44 qts actually) and adding a heating element to it. i am in the middle of a basement reno so i can add the necessary circuit breaker and wiring as far as getting power to it. I BAIB. i am thinking of a 45k heating element similar to this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-45...-Density-Water-Heater-Element-15184/204219986

i am worried about retrofitting it, how do i ensure that it doesn't cause a leak? please chime in.

In regards to the Camco element, they were advertised as Stainless Steel, but they rust on the back plate where the element goes into the screw-in electric hookup. Stained the nut, and the brewpot a rusty brown spot that won't come out.
HomeDepot no longer sells these so now I'm out about $70!
I bought 3 of them for my electric setup, one has rusted, so I'm going to have to scrap all three and get the (higher priced, but actually Stainless all the way) ones that Kal has @ the Electric Brewery.

Note to above poster jaydlaw:
" The element enclosure is not fully waterproof so it is not recommend to submerge the exterior of your pot or fully spray it down either.
What's included with all enclosure options:

Screw-together canister with ground screw and cord grip. The cord grip can accommodate portable "SJ" cord ranging from 14/3 up to 10/3.
Electrical Connection Parts: One pair of crimp-on ring terminals to connect your cord (up to 10 gauge wire) to the element, and a single ring terminal to attach an earth ground to the canister, a couple pieces of shrink wrap tubing (shrink it over your crimp terminals with a lighter).!!
electric heating element is NOT included with ANY of these kits.

Last edited:
Back