Think it has an infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jitsyeti

Reaction score
Still relatively new to this. I Brewed a cream ale about 3 1/2 weeks ago. I'm pretty sure it has an infection. The hydrometer sample tasted very sour, but I hit the target for my recipe at 1.020.

I chilled a sample and force carbonated a small sample with a soda stream, and the taste and smell reminds me of a couple of the Gose varieties I tried at the local beer festival this year, which I did not care for. I've read that acetaldehyde can give beer a green apple taste? I'm not sure this tastes so much like green apples though.

When I first put the beer in the fermenter, it took off like crazy. I had to replace the airlock with a blow off tube because I woke up in the middle of the night and heard a hiss and bubbles were coming out the airlock. After 3 or 4 days, it looked like all the airlock activity had stopped so I checked on it several times, but there was still a heavy blanket of krausen. Cleaned everything before hand and sanitized with star san.

My questions are:
1. Could checking on it cause the infection? All I did is pop the lid and look a few times.

2. Does an infection have visible signs? Other than what looks like a bit of yeast floating on top and some sediment throughout, there's not anything that looks weird.

3. I'm leaving the beer in a secondary, and will check in a week to see if the flavor has improved. If it is an infection will it just get worse? If its acetaldehyde it should get better correct?

4. My bucket has a sour smell to it now (it used to smell like hops) and I want to do another batch, should I be afraid the bucket may contaminate the new batch?

Kinda long, but without anyone around who could taste it and say yes or no, I've tried to give as much info as possible.

Thanks!

Have to wait and see if it develops a pelicle in secondary. Really, I bet it is fine. Give it a few weeks. Posting your recipe could be helpful.

All the Best,
D. White

The bucket not smelling like beer or hops isn't a real good sign. I would use a new bucket for your next brew. You'll know for sure if the current beer is infected by the time your next beer is done.

Bleaching the sour bucket may be an option if a new bucket isn't available.

ANSWERS (in my opinion:)
1) Checking could be the reason of Your infection but it is unlikely and rear. Other reasons: dirty tools, dirty fermenter, did You throw away checked sample ( dirty hydrometer),.
2) Most of infections have a visible signs ( each infection different ), also exist infection with no visible signs. You must determine which infection You have.
3) Once again depend which infection You have.
4) Wash it and use disinfectant, oxi, desprey or the cheapest solution POTASIUM META - everything will be fine

300_300_productGfx_efcf52b9749336b4f56784daa8a4e8ea.jpg

alco oxi.jpg

despray-500ml-dezynfekcja-powierzchni.jpg

potasium meta-600x600.JPG

Have to wait and see if it develops a pelicle in secondary. Really, I bet it is fine. Give it a few weeks. Posting your recipe could be helpful.

All the Best,
D. White

This is the recipe. http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/672/spotted-clown-new-glarus-spotted-cow-clone-

I hope it eventually turns out.

ANSWERS (in my opinion:)
1) Checking could be the reason of Your infection but it is unlikely and rear. Other reasons: dirty tools, dirty fermenter, did You throw away checked sample ( dirty hydrometer),.

I checked it about 2 weeks in and it still had a krausen layer. I took a hydrometer sample anyway, tried it and discarded it. Was not sour then. Maybe I didn't get the thief cleaned and sanitized well enough? At this time I also switched back to an airlock from the blow off tube.

Been thinking about getting a pet carboy as a primary anyways so I can watch it go. Maybe this is a good excuse.

This is the recipe. Spotted Clown (New Glarus Spotted Cow clone) Beer Recipe | All Grain Cream Ale by stikks | Brewer's Friend

I hope it eventually turns out.

I checked it about 2 weeks in and it still had a krausen layer. I took a hydrometer sample anyway, tried it and discarded it. Was not sour then. Maybe I didn't get the thief cleaned and sanitized well enough? At this time I also switched back to an airlock from the blow off tube.

Been thinking about getting a pet carboy as a primary anyways so I can watch it go. Maybe this is a good excuse.
The blow off tube should be fine for primary. If you want to be extra careful next time, use some star san as the liquid you run it into.

Speaking of, I recommend getting a container of Powdered Brewery Wash (PBW) and Star San - they're made by 5-star and can be found in most US homebrew shops. PBW is fairly amazing and takes most of the effort out of cleaning. Follow-up with Star San, which is the no-rinse sanitizer.

On brew day and during fermentation checks, spray/wipe down everything liberally with Star San and give it time to sanitize. The current recommendation is 5 minutes (used to be 3). Bonus - if you mix your sanitizer in a gallon of distilled water, it'll last months without degrading.

If you want more detail, this article is one of my favorites. Homebrew finds posts some good tips and tricks. Star San Tips, Tricks and Guidelines – Using Star San In a Spray Bottle.

…and OP’s only 2 lifetime posts were in this thread and never to be heard from again. All but one other respondent are inactive members..
…and OP’s only 2 lifetime posts were in this thread and never to be heard from again. All but one other respondent are inactive members..
Been a long week. Somehow this was near the top of my feed. 🤦‍♂️

Back