Thermostat Wiring Help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJvermonster

Reaction score
So I am illiterate when it comes to wiring. I'm trying to wire a digital thermostat so the fan will turn on. I bought this "simple" digital thermometer and have spent 2 nights trying to wire my computer fan. Can anyone please help me. I've attached a photo of the thermostat and the wiring diagram. Please help!!

View attachment 1438484084024.jpg

View attachment 1438484406754.jpg

What is it that you're trying to do? Just turn on a fan when temperature reaches a certain set point? Or are you using this to run a fridge or freezer AND you want a fan to turn on?

I'm building a "son of a fermentation chiller". I want the fan to turn on when the temperature raises above, say, 64 degrees.

You have a Willhi 7016C single-stage controller configured for 12VDC.
Do you have a 12V DC power source (eg: wall wart) and a 12V DC fan?

if so, you can wire them up like this.
willh7016c_12VDCi.jpg

Note that polarity at the fan matters.
If you follow the above and the fan doesn't spin when the relay is active, swap the wires at the fan...

Cheers!

DT, so I set this up exactly as shown. It's 84 in my house right now. I set the thermostat to 70. Nothing happens. I put it to 86 and the fan comes on. I feel like I'm close?? Any idea where I went wrong?

I don't know this unit. Is there a heating/cooling setting? It sounds like it is working opposite of what you are expecting...changing that setting should fix it.

Do you have a 12V DC power source (eg: wall wart) and a 12V DC fan?

I'm building a SOFC as well. I'm looking for a DC adapter for my computer fan. Does anyone have any specific suggestions. I was thinking of getting this one. Thanks!

Back