The "w.h.o." device

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruwsomtin

Reaction score
Since my first sip of DFH's 60 min IPA, I was in the search for somthing to continually hop my beer. I'v read numerous threads on this issue but nothing really stuck out to me. (no offense to anyone) So i decided to collaborate with a fellow brewer on the matter. This is what we came up with.

Picture #1 - all parts needed Picture#9 - Rail end that excepts bit end
picture#2 - Bit end w/ brass bushing Picture#10 - Assembled on rail
Picture#3 - motorw/ 5/16 socket to drive the auger bit Picture#11 - drive unit assembly Picture#4 - mounting rail Picture#12 - Ready to use
Picture#5 - mod tees that hold the bit via brass bushings
Picture#6 - Exploded View
Picture#7 - top Shot WHO = Wort Hop Optimizer
Picture#8 - Assembled

WHO PARTS.jpg

BIT END.jpg

SOCKET DRIVE.jpg

RAIL.jpg

Love the idea! Have you done any trial runs on the auger rpm-to-pellets dropped ratio? I would imagine that it has to be ultra slow. Post a video!

Have you used it while brewing yet?

I am curious if the condensation from the boil will interfer with hop pellets trickling down the pipe.

How many ounces of hops can you pack in that feed tube?

Love the idea! Have you done any trial runs on the auger rpm-to-pellets dropped ratio? I would imagine that it has to be ultra slow. Post a video!

basically I just dial my dimmer switch to the speed i see fit for the amount of hops i want to drop into the boil. I go by how many grams drop per minute and adjust accordingly.

Have you used it while brewing yet?

I am curious if the condensation from the boil will interfer with hop pellets trickling down the pipe.

How many ounces of hops can you pack in that feed tube?

I have used it numerous times and the condensation has very little effect as the hops drop in thier pelletized form. If the hops become powderized then condensation would take its toll.

Also, I can put about an ounce in the tube without a funnel. Might put a chunk of 2 inch with a 1inch reducer on it to increase my capacity.

Very nice, I have been kicking around an auger style continuous hop addition device for a while, glad to see a great design to steal.

Any chance for a video if it in action?

This is awesome! Now I have to go against my rule of no pellet hops! I have tons of these bits from my grandpa's old brace and bit set. Seeing how I'll never use a brace, might as well put his bits to use.

I'm not a fan of "hop juice", but I gotta give you props .. err hops .. for this marvelment of DIY'edness. Some of the guys in my brewclub will squirt IPA out of their eyes when I show'em this thread. Kudos!!

I have used it numerous times and the condensation has very little effect as the hops drop in thier pelletized form. If the hops become powderized then condensation would take its toll.

Also, I can put about an ounce in the tube without a funnel. Might put a chunk of 2 inch with a 1inch reducer on it to increase my capacity.

I think a paintball "hopper" would do nicely in the top of the pipe.

HAHAHA, I'm supprised someone didnt mention a 'HOPper' before now. I have half a dozen of these lying around from my paintball tournament days. They even hae agitators in them to keep things moving along. Great build!

VERY COOL... Now I have something ELSE to build...thanks...

You, sir, made an awesome device. Very cool! I was confused for awhile as to what exactly was going on. I thought it was more along the lines of a hop-back, and didn't see how the liquid would run through. But....now I got it and it is good! Kyle

Back