The Pastorizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
Here are my plans for The Pastorizer jacketed conical fermenter.

I have been threatening to do this for 3 years and I think the time has come!

I have two slightly different size hoppers from Toledo Metal Spinning. One hopper nests in the other with about a 1/4" space between. I will have the bottom of the outer jacket cut a few inches up from the bottom of the inner cone and sealed with a welded ring/plate to the inner cone at that point. 1" inlet and outlet ports will be welded to the outer jacket and the top lips of the hoppers (which have been cut by Toledo Metal Spinning to be the same OD) will be welded together.

jacketedfermenter.png

EdWort said:
Sweet! How will you maintain temp? Glycol?

Yes, gycol. I have my big glycol chiller, but it is over-kill I think.

P1010911.jpg

I think I will just have a glycol tank in the bottom of my freezer with a sump pump wired into a Ranco controller circulating everything.

These are the tanks I will use. If you look, you can see that the one on the right is slightly smaller then the left one. I have different tops now and am not currently chilling them. I will lose capacity but gain control which is fine with me!

As a fellow man of the cloth I know it is a sin to covet....But DAYUMMMM!!!!!!!!!:D

I'm humbled, and truly impressed.....

(stumbles off to find a Catholic Collegue to have confession with....)

:mug:

Is it just going to be open space between the 2 vessels? Most of the jacketed equipment I work with (chemical reactors) have the jacket run in a spiral around the inner vessel.

Liquidicem said:
Is it just going to be open space between the 2 vessels? Most of the jacketed equipment I work with (chemical reactors) have the jacket run in a spiral around the inner vessel.

Yes, it will be open space. I think that will provide a huge amount of surface contact for cooling. Besides, I can't get any more complicated then what I am planning.

Have you considerred tacking on some fins on the outside of the inner cone to be sure the coolant is circulated well and doesn't create a flow pathway from the inlet to the outlet?

It might double as a support to keep you from having the inner cone and outer cone pushed together at points from being banged or just from not being seated perfectly.

How about copper mesh? Like the stuff that people put in distillation columns. I don't think anything is necessary, I'm just throwing it into the maylay of "make it more complicated" comments. Are you going to insulate the outside to reduce the load on your freezer?

Holy Macgyver ..Brewpastor
Just checking your current cooling setup that is sweet :mug:

I like the idea of a jacketed fermenter..the welding skills that would be required in order to form this jacket using your two conicals as in your illustration sounds challenging.

Cheers
BeerCanuck

Quick news flash...

I dropped the parts off to the welder/fab guys yesterday. It should be done by Friday! I am jazzed like nobody's business.

OK, Back to work...

Latest posts

Back