The New IPA NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalker365

Reaction score
Has anybody read the chapter about aged/ oxygenated hops in Scott Janish’s book “The New IPA”? I can’t find anything else on the web that backs him. Leaving hops out exposed to the air for a few weeks is suppose to bring forward the fruity like characters and decrease the bitterness? I’m giving it a shot but it terrifies me since everything else says oxygen, light, and heat is hops worst enemy.

Has anybody read the chapter about aged/ oxygenated hops in Scott Janish’s book “The New IPA”? I can’t find anything else on the web that backs him. Leaving hops out exposed to the air for a few weeks is suppose to bring forward the fruity like characters and decrease the bitterness? I’m giving it a shot but it terrifies me since everything else says oxygen, light, and heat is hops worst enemy.
Where does it say that in the book? I’ve never read that and that goes against anything related to hops and oxidation. What page I have the book?

Where does it say that in the book? I’ve never read that and that goes against anything related to hops and oxidation. What page I have the book?
It doesn’t actually. At least not 100%. There are in fact certain compounds that actually benefit from getting oxidized a bit. Mostly prevalent in NAmerican hops, but not in European noble types. No idea about Southern Hemisphere types.
The question is how much and to what extent?

And how do you prevent adding oxidation to the beer when you dry hop.

Chapter 3, page 64, paragraph “Incorporated Aged Hops in IPAs”

There can be a sweetness to oxidation in some cases (not sure about hops though).
I recently brewed my normal LOB (LODO) Helles and an otherwise identical conventional homebrew version of it for comparison, and this morning I picked up on a subtle sweetness in the conventional (oxidized) version. It's not an especially pleasant sweetness, but more reminiscent of a cider or sherry.

I've listened to some podcasts where they've had him on talking about that book and what not. I really don't think he's suggesting leaving hops out and exposed to oxidize. I think he's talking about compounds that can be created once the hops are added to the beer and they oxidize from there. But that's about where what I think I know ends...

Question: Was your statement...

Leaving hops out exposed to the air for a few weeks is suppose to bring forward the fruity like characters and decrease the bitterness?

pulled directly from the book or was this an assumption?

If that statement was pulled directly from the book, then I'm way off and I apologize.

I've listened to some podcasts where they've had him on talking about that book and what not. I really don't think he's suggesting leaving hops out and exposed to oxidize. I think he's talking about compounds that can be created once the hops are added to the beer and they oxidize from there. But that's about where what I think I know ends...

Question: Was your statement...

pulled directly from the book or was this an assumption?

If that statement was pulled directly from the book, then I'm way off and I apologize.

no he literally suggest that you cut open your bags of hops, put it in a fridge for a few weeks, to experiment with slightly aged and oxygenated hops, due to research/ sensory data findings that show they give off more of there fruit compounds. He says the greener compounds and polyphenols is reduced due to the aging and oxidation exposer.

This is all over my head but I bought the Haze Craze kit from more beer and will tweak the recipe to mirror some suggestions he writes in the book.

I had a bag of ctz from YVH that was god awful onion/garlic when I first opened. I had planned to use them for whirlpool but tossed that out the window when I smelled em and decided I might as well use for bittering. Along the way I read that oxidation would help that aroma fade and to my surprise the Next time I opened the bag it was the beautiful ctz aroma I was expecting when first opened. Onion was completely gone.

I keep the hops in the Mylar it comes in but vac seal that in a normal
Vacuum bag. Goal is to leverage the o2 permeability of the Mylar while still keeping them sealed and “devoid” of air. Clearly some o2 makes it in and of course whatever I exposed them to when I opened/used the first time

Back