The experiment did not have malt beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuan22222

Reaction score
Hey all, have read through some posts on recent forums after seeing the George Washington Molasses beer theme, as well as the Water Shop and Grocery themes again and have a crazy idea. for an experimental beer.

I am planning to create two different types of "beer" without malt seeds, grains used for flavor and body, and alcohol provided by added sugars, using yeast for yeast production. .

The grains I'm thinking of using are what's called Sweetfeed or COB mixtures, and for those who don't know, are 30/30/30/10 mixes of corn roll, oats, barley and molasses.

Grains and additives will be warmed to keep 2/3 of the last cold water and boiled for 3 to 5 minutes quickly to disinfect the seeds (the process of sterilization will occur when boiling Boil, but when it boils should be sterilized and remove the heat source) and add a little bitter hops. This will be cooled by adding water to the temp pitching and then pouring it all into a fermentation and fermentation barrel.

yeah, that probably won't work out like you plan... So corn,oats, barley and molasses are fine... But those won't be malted.
There will be no enzymes to convert the starches into fermentable sugars. You'll need at least some malted barley to provide
the enzymes... After boiling your COB to gelatinize, throw in a lb or 2 of malted barley (2-row or 6-row) to convert.... Otherwise
you probably won't end up with much.

You could also add an amylase enzyme mix... .But you still need to convert those starches into fermentable sugars somehow.

Good luck.

+1 on the addition of extra malted grains or adding an addition of amyoglucosidase.
The sugars already present in your mix will be fermentable but the starches need to be broken down. You'll need to crush or gelatinize the mix by cooking and let the enzymes break down starches in water (hydrolize) to get a more efficient process.

I think the whole idea described in OP is to avoid using malt, taking all the fermentables from molasses (like Washington's beverage) and trying to get some taste + maybe some nutrients for yeast from unmalted grains. But I am afraid that raw grains won't give you much of the flavor that sprouted and kilned grain would. I guess the result is going to be a little bit boring and bland and taste will depend on the type of molasses and yeast mainly. Washingtons beer is not famous of being especially tasty and it was brewed because malt was not available. The beer is probably hazy if compounds from grains get dissolved (starch granules and protein won't be broken in the absence of enzymes that are formed during malting process).

I believe the term for this kind of brew is not beer but rather, "hooch". Adding enzymes will improve it, adding malted barley will make it beer but maybe not good beer.

Funny enough I posted about doing the exact same thing after reading the GW molasses beer threads and sparkling water beer threads, and then went ahead with it for a fake neipa a couple of weeks ago.

In the end it turned into a very thin, slightly astringent brut ipa taste wise.

My recipie was:
4lbs sweetfeed
4lbs sugar
1.5 cups Applesauce
Yeast (mangrove Jack witbier)
. 25 oz galaxy
. 25 oz el dorado
1.5oz amarello

If you decide to do this I would either boil the grain and strain it after a decent length rest, or transfer to a secondary and off the grain after a few days to reduce the astringent flavour. Also maybe some maltodextrin to increase the body could help.

Maybe can brew beer without malt if use maltodextrin for body and table sugar for alcohol. I few times brew 23L batch simple low ABV (4%) beer with 2kg malt and 1kg table sugar and turn very good, but this is not without malt.

Maybe can brew beer without malt if use maltodextrin for body and table sugar for alcohol. I few times brew 23L batch simple low ABV (4%) beer with 2kg malt and 1kg table sugar and turn very good, but this is not without malt.
Try using dextrose (corn sugar, glucose) next time instead of the table sugar. This should improve it further.

In my country, the corn sugar is very rare and expensive. This beer with table sugar I made for drinking with friends when looking for quantity, and quality is not so important.

Maybe I should try it with invert sugar (table sugar cooked with little bit lemon juice)?
I read that people put roasted table sugar and that the color and the taste are great.

In my country, the corn sugar is very rare and expensive. This beer with table sugar I made for drinking with friends when looking for quantity, and quality is not so important.

Maybe I should try it with invert sugar (table sugar cooked with little bit lemon juice)?
I read that people put roasted table sugar and that the color and the taste are great.

Many British style beers do this for colour, flavour and making it lighter for easier drinking. My last Brown ale I used homemade #3 invert and the sample I took tasted amazing already.

Also depending on your yeast, dme or lie, recipe and if you bottle or keg your beer would end up at 5 to 5.5% with 2kg dme and 1kg sugar.

Invert would be good, yes. But if you can, make it with citric acid instead of lemon juice.there is a good recipe here in this form.

But if it already works as it is... Then why bother. You might be able to use unsweetened corn flakes instead!

Invert would be good, yes. But if you can, make it with citric acid instead of lemon juice.there is a good recipe here in this form.

But if it already works as it is... Then why bother. You might be able to use unsweetened corn flakes instead!

Homebrew is a great hobby just because it can always be experimented. It's always better than ever. Why not try something new?

Back