Thai PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
I've started working on a beer idea mostly because I thought the name was fun. The picture show was I've got to work with (I know the coconut should probably be unsweetened, but this is what I have.) Any hop recommendations? I was planning to list dona simple 2 row, rice, and crystal 60 grain bill. Any ideas there too? Trying to finish putting the recipe together. Thought about adding mango too, but that might be one ingredient too many.
20191102_180659.jpeg

I've started working on a beer idea mostly because I thought the name was fun. The picture show was I've got to work with (I know the coconut should probably be unsweetened, but this is what I have.) Any hop recommendations? I was planning to list dona simple 2 row, rice, and crystal 60 grain bill. Any ideas there too? Trying to finish putting the recipe together. Thought about adding mango too, but that might be one ingredient too many.View attachment 650943

Fish sauce
Basil
Hot peppers

I don’t see an issue with the sweetened coconut...the sweetener will ferment out.

Fish sauce
Basil
Hot peppers

I don’t see an issue with the sweetened coconut...the sweetener will ferment out.
Some thai chili might be fun. I was basing it more off of a desert I read about. It was some sort of sticky coconut rice thing, stuffed with tamarind paste. I got the lime peel just for something extra.

at first i thought that was dried mushrooms and I was going to say WTF, but lime peel should be good. I've used lemongrass and ginger in 'thai style' beers and like them as well. I don't know how that would go with the coconut and tamarind though.

Are you going to pre-cook the rice or anything or just throw it into the mash? It sounds like an interesting beer. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

Sabro hops will provide a coconut character especially in dryhop. Motueka or citra can help aid the citrus character and Sorachi ace is very lemon grass herbal. Sometimes it comes off Dill like. Those would be my suggestion.

I would use unsweetened. Store bought Sweeten coconut typically has a lot of preservatives and is usually sweetened with fake sugar substitutes. I would just use unsweetened coconut and toast it in your oven to caramelize the natural sugars, kill microbes, and provide more complexity with the toasted character.

Yeah, its kaffir lime peel. I'm hoping I dont have to cook the rice, which is why I was a little excited to find jasmine minute rice. Might not brew this till next month, but in want to make sure my recipe is in order first.
at first i thought that was dried mushrooms and I was going to say WTF, but lime peel should be good. I've used lemongrass and ginger in 'thai style' beers and like them as well. I don't know how that would go with the coconut and tamarind though.

Are you going to pre-cook the rice or anything or just throw it into the mash? It sounds like an interesting beer. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

Sabro hops will provide a coconut character especially in dryhop. Motueka or citra can help aid the citrus character and Sorachi ace is very lemon grass herbal. Sometimes it comes off Dill like. Those would be my suggestion.

I would use unsweetened. Store bought Sweeten coconut typically has a lot of preservatives and is usually sweetened with fake sugar substitutes. I would just use unsweetened coconut and toast it in your oven to caramelize the natural sugars, kill microbes, and provide more complexity with the toasted character.
I yeah thinking Sabro hops too. I have a few oz in the freezer. I've heard cashmere can have a coconut thing too, but I haven't noticed that in my experience.

I think I might go the store and get some unsweetened coconut. They all have it in the pour your own sections of the grocery store.

Back