It's a boy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bensiff

Reaction score
Some of you are aware that I am expecting my first child and some asked that I let you know when he is born. So, here it is, he was born last Wednesday and my wife and child are doing great. I have spent the last week adjusting to the new reality and then finally returned to work today while my wife stays home for the next month or so.

I suppose simply posting without a discussion would be no fun, so the last week I have gotten into the habit of taking the first watch through the fussy time hours staying up to around 0100 while my wife sleeps a bit. During this time my boy and I have watched the original Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Back to the Future and I have tried teaching him that Han shot first and there are only three Indiana Jones movies in existence. Next is going to be The Lord of the Rings, but what should come after that to occupy our late night movie watching...suggestions?

Some of you are aware that I am expecting my first child and some asked that I let you know when he is born. So, here it is, he was born last Wednesday and my wife and child are doing great. I have spent the last week adjusting to the new reality and then finally returned to work today while my wife stays home for the next month or so.

I suppose simply posting without a discussion would be no fun, so the last week I have gotten into the habit of taking the first watch through the fussy time hours staying up to around 0100 while my wife sleeps a bit. During this time my boy and I have watched the original Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Back to the Future and I have tried teaching him that Han shot first and there are only three Indiana Jones movies in existence. Next is going to be The Lord of the Rings, but what should come after that to occupy our late night movie watching...suggestions?

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I have two little girls (one 29 months, the other 3 mo) and it's amazing! I guess we are lucky that both are good sleepers. I can't recommend movies (maybe some shows on Netflix?) but you should try putting him on your chest (facing you). Our babies loved it and slept almost immediately. Since my wife was/is breastfeeding she is taking over the nights since I can't do it :D She's also a stay-at-home mom and can take naps during the day.

Love your avatar btw :mug:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I have two little girls (one 29 months, the other 3 mo) and it's amazing! I guess we are lucky that both are good sleepers. I can't recommend movies (maybe some shows on Netflix?) but you should try putting him on your chest (facing you). Our babies loved it and slept almost immediately. Since my wife was/is breastfeeding she is taking over the nights since I can't do it :D She's also a stay-at-home mom and can take naps during the day.

Love your avatar btw :mug:

Thanks...Netflix has been getting exercised and I might sign up for Amazon Prime too. I wish my wife could be a stay at home mom, but it is ultimately better for both of us to work than to not.

Congrats Ben! I know you and I have pinched the bridges of our noses and shook our heads at each other in the past, but I am truly happy for you and your wife. Your kid being non-existent and now existent was probably pretty positive for him too...

Congrats Ben! I know you and I have pinched the bridges of our noses and shook our heads at each other in the past, but I am truly happy for you and your wife. Your kid being non-existent and now existent was probably pretty positive for him too...

So, we don't agree on our politics, that is but a small fraction of a person...its how you go about your disagreements that matter and while we have called shenanigans, we have never called names so all is good. Thanks.

If your little guy ever has gas you should try the Magic baby hold! It works wonders! Just google it :) And Happy First Father's Day (come Sunday)

I had to google it...gotta say, google images produced some interesting pics.

Based on what you've already watched, I would continue on to the entire Firefly series and afterwards explain to him that it's only one season because America is too often unable to recognize genius. Not in the sci-fi, fantasy or adventure categories, but Freaks and Geeks is another fine example of this phenomenon.

Oh, congratulations!

Based on what you've already watched, I would continue on to the entire Firefly series and afterwards explain to him that it's only one season because America is too often unable to recognize genius. Not in the sci-fi, fantasy or adventure categories, but Freaks and Geeks is another fine example of this phenomenon.

Oh, congratulations!

Ah, good call. Great show and it has one of the best quotes ever, "If someone tries to kill you, you try to kill him right back."

Congratulations and happy early father's day! I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old and they are the best thing that ever happened. Good on you also for letting your wife get some shuteye. Try to continue that as much as you can. She will greatly appreciate it. Sleep and free time will become hot commodities so make sure you take advantage of those as you can. If you run out of shows and movies, read a story or book out loud. This will typically put our kids out fairly quickly, and its always good to read to them. My 4 year old is into The Hobbit right now.

That's awesome- I'm so happy for you and your wife.

I'm not a TV person, so I can't help with the movies I'm afraid. I do know LOTS of music that babies like, though! It seems like Alice in Chains was always a favorite. :D

Check out rocking lullabies. I found some Green Day, Tool, Metallica and other bands covered in lullaby form. Its funny to see them dozing off to "Master of Puppets."

Well I would say that the 7 seasons of Dexter is out of the question! So maybe Harry Potter, Mission Impossible or all the old James Bond movies would be a kick.

Congrats on the new family addition! Ohhh and I totally agree let the mama get as much sleep as she can. We as men can handle sleep deprivation way better then a new mama. Not sure exactly why.

Happy Fathers Day!

Cheers
Jay

Congratulations! Latenight movie watching with the baby eh? I always loved those old Sinbad movies: The Golden Voyage of Sinbad was always my fav. Those monsters & fantastic creatures always held a certain fascination for me. I grew up watching those old B&W scifi movies from the 50's, they were aired latenight on TV in the 60's & 70's, so those sem like exactly the thing to me. IT, Them, The Incredible Shrinking Man, The Blob, etc...
Of course your boy might enjoy things like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The Junglebook, Bambi, etc...
Regards, GF.

Well I would say that the 7 seasons of Dexter is out of the question! So maybe Harry Potter, Mission Impossible or all the old James Bond movies would be a kick.

Congrats on the new family addition! Ohhh and I totally agree let the mama get as much sleep as she can. We as men can handle sleep deprivation way better then a new mama. Not sure exactly why.

Happy Fathers Day!

Cheers
Jay

Bond...that'll keep us busy for a few weeks :)

Congratulations! Latenight movie watching with the baby eh? I always loved those old Sinbad movies: The Golden Voyage of Sinbad was always my fav. Those monsters & fantastic creatures always held a certain fascination for me. I grew up watching those old B&W scifi movies from the 50's, they were aired latenight on TV in the 60's & 70's, so those sem like exactly the thing to me. IT, Them, The Incredible Shrinking Man, The Blob, etc...
Of course your boy might enjoy things like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The Junglebook, Bambi, etc...
Regards, GF.

My wife has raided my parents (big Disney fans) Disney collection and is watching those during the day...

Congratulations! I see you are already trying to teach him to enjoy the classics (Star Wars, etc.).

Most of my suggestions for late nigh viewing have either been suggested or watched, but if you ever get into a British comedy mood, you always have anything from Monty Python, or you can "Americanize" British comedy and watch the Austin Powers films.

Better yet, how about the art of suspense and start watching old Hitchcock episodes/movies.

So, we don't agree on our politics, that is but a small fraction of a person...its how you go about your disagreements that matter and while we have called shenanigans, we have never called names so all is good. Thanks.

Oh I dont know, I think I've called you "dude" and "brohim" before :ban:

Back