Friendly Reminder: Get everything in writing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daksin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Learning a hard, expensive lesson today. It's bad enough to have money stolen from you, but there's nothing worse than doing something dumb (like not getting something in writing, or trusting the wrong person) and then losing money that could have easily been saved with the most basic precautions.

Any time money changes hands, have a contract. End of story. Now I have to decide whether to just eat the money or go to Small Claims and fight it out without having anything in writing besides a few emails. Essentially a "he said/she said." It's still small claims money, but it's a huge part of my startup capital. Just frustrating.

Yep.
I work in the construction industry.
We've learned our lessons the hard way over the years.

In addition to getting things in writing, research & understand your state's lien laws.

I hate getting screwed. Especially if they intended to screw me. I feel so stupid and it takes a long time for it to go away.

I honestly don't think this guy initially intended to screw me. I inspected the work, it wasn't up to par and he agreed to refund my money in full because he didn't think he could get things up to my standard and that there had been an honest mismatch in our expectations for the project.

He seemed totally cool about it and acted in an upstanding way. I considered the transaction finished and was impressed with his tact.

Then, two weeks later, he cashed the deposit check anyway (a considerable sum) without telling me, and now says he wants to sell me the parts he at the original cost. Says I treated him unfairly and owe him the REST of the cost. Craziness.

If, at any point during those two weeks, I had stopped payment on the check or just gotten a written agreement of the refund, literally none of this would have been an issue. Totally my fault, and that's the worst part.

Back