mash PH question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

je52rm

Reaction score
If I am getting 72%-80% efficiency is it safe to assume that my mash PH is in a good range for the beers I make? I was considering trying the 5.2 ph stabilizer but wasn't sure if it's necessary. I usually make IPA'S, porters, Stouts, browns

You have to be getting pretty much full conversion if you are getting 80% total efficiency. However, are your IPA on the low end and the dark beers on the high end (or the opposite)?

You have to be getting pretty much full conversion if you are getting 80% total efficiency. However, are your IPA on the low end and the dark beers on the high end (or the opposite)?

No they are about equal all the way across the board on those styles.

je52rm said:
If I am getting 72%-80% efficiency is it safe to assume that my mash PH is in a good range for the beers I make? I was considering trying the 5.2 ph stabilizer but wasn't sure if it's necessary. I usually make IPA'S, porters, Stouts, browns

5.2 is a buffer and iMO a waste of time. You are much better getting a water report and modifying your water to the style of beer you are brewing.

There is more to efficiency then pH and you should get some test strips or a meter to see really what your pH is in the mash and go from there.

The brewing science forum has a great stickie by Yooper and lots of good info!

Well, if you really enjoy chemistry and have some free time, feel free to read up on it. Otherwise, you are already getting solid efficiency numbers, so you aren't going to improve them a whole lot. I'd skip the 5.2 either way.

Back