Yeast Still Eating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarov

Reaction score
So I've had an imperial IPA in secondary for awhile, and took a gravity reading 9 days ago at 1.014, 2 points high of beersmith's estimated fg. So 7 days ago I dry-hopped with 4 ounces of cascade, and I moved the fermenter to the sink last night and when I saw it, low and behold the air lock bubbles every 20 seconds or so. Is the beer about ready to bottle? Or should I get it into a new carboy off the hops? Or just let it sit a few days?

Its co2, take another reading and see if its still 1.014, if it is then its ready.

Take another gravity reading. If it's still 1.014, you should be all set. The airlock is likely bubbling from CO2 coming out of solution from when you moved it. Temperature/pressure changes can do the same thing. If the gravity hasn't changed, you can be sure the yeast has finished working.

Ah thanks everyone, that definitely makes sense now. I should've known that since It's the same process as degassing wine...

The method is different,but the result is pretty much the same.

Yeah, the wort was moved when I transported it to the kitchen counter. The two bags of hops sloshed the wort around more than normal I'm sure.

Back