Anyone try BRY-97 yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poobah58 said:
I'm fermenting a Blue Moon now. I agree, the lag time sucks. It's going though. Steady but not vigorous. I do detect a bit of banana in the air. Smells like a Hefe...

You're making a Blue Moon (clone, I suppose)... and you used BRY-97?

Poobah58 said:
I'm fermenting a Blue Moon now. I agree, the lag time sucks. It's going though. Steady but not vigorous. I do detect a bit of banana in the air. Smells like a Hefe...

I did an MO/citra smash earlier this spring. 10 gal. 5 got bry97 and half got us05. Fermented at 68f side by side. The us05 came out clean. When I drink the 2 side by side, I got a hint of banana when it was young. As it got older, I was picking up some definite diacetyl. Not over the top buttery. More like an English yeast fermented too warm

Brulosopher said:
You're making a Blue Moon (clone, I suppose)... and you used BRY-97?

Blue moon is brewed with a clean American yeast like chico strain.

Just bottled up a pale ale over the weekend. I have brewed this recipe before with Wlp 001 and us 05. First, there was no hop aroma. Just earthy, yeasty, maltiness which was unusual for this beer. Flavor was similar to aroma with a bit of candy/ caramel flavor. Definitely had a lot more yeast chunks floating around, even after 4 weeks in primary. I'll give this plenty of time in the bottle before I make my final decision, but so far, I'm not really liking this yeast.

Disregard. This batch turned into a gusher infection. Carry on.

Beerbelcher44 said:
The batch I did has a gusher issue also ,wonder if it has something to do with this yeast?

More thank likely your process of carbonating or your sanitation. Yeast caused it but not because of the brand and strain.

trying this yeast for the first time on a 1.051 pale ale. took 30 hours to show signs of fermentation. i had never had a yeast take longer then 6 hours, so i raised the temp from 62 ambient to 66 ambient and gave it a little swirl (twice) once at 12 hours in and one at 24. by hour 30 its building a very white and "clean" krausen, slowly that is. i too rehydrated the yeast with 150ml of 85 deg water that i boiled and cooled. the 5 srm wort is fermenting with a much darker color than i thought. could be the the darker yeast. will post more results as i get them. also cant understand how some people get such fast fermentations while others get slow ones. fingers crossed.

64 hours after pitch:
WOAH! ITS ALIVE! Crazy active fermentation. Swirling and moving every which way.

trying this yeast for the first time on a 1.051 pale ale. took 30 hours to show signs of fermentation. i had never had a yeast take longer then 6 hours, so i raised the temp from 62 ambient to 66 ambient and gave it a little swirl (twice) once at 12 hours in and one at 24. by hour 30 its building a very white and "clean" krausen, slowly that is. i too rehydrated the yeast with 150ml of 85 deg water that i boiled and cooled. the 5 srm wort is fermenting with a much darker color than i thought. could be the the darker yeast. will post more results as i get them. also cant understand how some people get such fast fermentations while others get slow ones. fingers crossed.
64 hours after pitch:
WOAH! ITS ALIVE! Crazy active fermentation. Swirling and moving every which way.
This was my experience as well....same with the Danstar Munich Wheat Beer yeast, as well. The seem to take forever to get going but, when they do, you'll likely need a blowoff tube. I still prefer 05, though.

This was my experience as well....same with the Danstar Munich Wheat Beer yeast, as well. The seem to take forever to get going but, when they do, you'll likely need a blowoff tube. I still prefer 05, though.

Why do you prefer the us 05 over bry 97?

Why do you prefer the us 05 over bry 97?
I felt that the BRY sort of suppressed the hops and they weren't as prevalent as when I use 05. Having said that, I also used the BRY in a brown ale and it is absolutely excellent. In both beers, it didn't finish as low as I expected (brown went 1.056 / 1.020 , I expected 1.012...mashed at 155F, so that may be why and the pale ale went 1.050 / 1.013, I expected 1.010...mashed at 152F) Overall, I feel that 05 is much cleaner and the hops are much brighter. I'd use it again in a brown or a stout, but I'm sticking with 05 for my pales.

This has me thinking the three oz of mosaic hops may not even show up. I guess ill do another 3 oz for dry hops and maybe an oz in the keg.

This has me thinking the three oz of mosaic hops may not even show up. I guess ill do another 3 oz for dry hops and maybe an oz in the keg.
The recipe that I used wasn't overly hoppy to begin with, but there is a noticeable difference between BRY and 05 when it comes to the hops. I used 1/2 oz Magnum@FWH, 1/2 oz Perle@20 min, 1 oz Centennial@1min, and 1 oz Amarillo Dry Hop for 3 days. It wasn't a hop bomb, by any means.

The recipe that I used wasn't overly hoppy to begin with, but there is a noticeable difference between BRY and 05 when it comes to the hops. I used 1/2 oz Magnum@FWH, 1/2 oz Perle@20 min, 1 oz Centennial@1min, and 1 oz Amarillo Dry Hop for 3 days. It wasn't a hop bomb, by any means.

I know that it's just a matter of time until i find out for myself how this yeast will accent the beer. How ever i feel that there is still time to alter the hop presence via a dry hop or hop tea. If you could find the words to describe the difference between the two that would be great ( hop difference ). Thanks cheers.

Here is a side by side comparison after about twelve hours from pitching. Nottingham on the right and BRY-97 on the left. OG was 1.044, temp controller set for 20 degrees Celcius. Both dry packets were rehydrated with 4 oz. water per packet instructions. Pitched and aerated by rocking carboy. The recipe is BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde which calls for a 10 day turn around. If I could show you the video you would see the Nottingham churning up a storm, looks like a lava lamp. No real activity out of the BRY-97' can't tell if the bubbles are the start of fermentation of just sanitizer that hasn't faded out yet. Anyone else have this experience?

EDIT 6/2/13: The Nottingham finished and dropped its Krausen the next day and as if the BRY-97 was waiting in line it fired up and there was a LOT of activity, just as vigorous as the Notty, just took longer to start, as seems to be everyone's experience this far.

image-1387949193.jpg

BRY-97 does take the edge off the hops- but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I find it gives a smoother, more rounded bitterness than US-05 or Notty. So long as you dry hop after primary fermentation subsides to increase flavor and aroma, I think you'll be very, very pleased with the final result.

Has anybody else gotten diacetyl with bry97? I did a Smash with MO and Citra a couple of months ago. I'd read on Morebeer's site where they got this yeast to 75f and it fermented clean. I had half the batch with the bry97 and the other half with us05.

I bumped the 05 up to 68f to avoid the peachy flavor it sometimes throws at lower temps. The bry97 spent most of the ferment reading 70f (the side of my ferment fridge away from the vent consistently has the beers 2f warmer than the side by the air vent.

The 05 gave exactly the crisp, hoppy profile I was expecting, while the 97 had a slight diacetyl aroma and even slighter in the flavor, although it definitely did not have the oily mouthfeel I usually associate with diacetyl.

Stand alone, you could pick out the slight diacetyl in the 97. When tasted side by side with the 05, it was more noticeable.

Between the lag, the short strong ferment, the faster clearing and the (at least my) experience with increased diacetyl, this to me performs more and more like a British yeast rather than a Chico related strain.

I'm not overly fond of it myself. I'll stick with US 05 if I'm going to use a dry yeast myself.

I still have some BRY-97 in the fridge for emergencies along with some US05, but I think I'll try and use the 97 in stuff like a hoppy brown or something like that and avoid using it in my IPA's and DIPA's.

My experience has been a nightmare, but with a silver lining.
3 months ago I brewed up a batch of SWMBO Slayer and had no Belgian yeast, saw this on the shelf at my LHBS and thought, huh, I'll give it a shot. One week of almost zero activity at 65 degrees setting in my garage. I kept checking every day, no bubbles on the airlock. Well I skipped checking one day to come back and find a mess in the garage, lid blown all the way off. After that there was still limited activity for four or five days, and around day six I started smelling something foul from the airlock. It was like the smell of hard cheese, like Pecorino Romano or parmesean... I thought I probably had a lacto infection or some wild yeast. Called up a buddy of mine who does sour beer all the time with wild yeast, his advice was dump it or keg it and drink it quickly because it can go from slight cheesy to full on hard nasty very quick. So I threw it in my fridge and crashed for two days and kegged it. Force carbed and it was the full on hard cheese nastyness. I was disgusted. There was big white globs floating in the beer. I was going to dump it but didn't get around to it. I left it set on gas for two weeks. I tried it this Sunday night before I was going to dump it and it was amazing. Clean, crisp, bright flavor, the malt really shined. Gave some to my wife and she said hands down one of the best beers she has had. There is still a slight twinge of sourness, but no more than say in any other middle of the road Belgian. I don't know if it was the yeast was just not done yet, or I picked up a bug and the yeast finally fought it off, i don't know. But its darn tasty now.

Has anybody else gotten diacetyl with bry97? I did a Smash with MO and Citra a couple of months ago. I'd read on Morebeer's site where they got this yeast to 75f and it fermented clean. I had half the batch with the bry97 and the other half with us05.

I got zero dactyl at any stage with the BRY97.

I did an arrogant bastard clone about 4 months ago with 2 packs of bry-97 and i have to say i had zero lose of hop aroma and it finished clean but the lag time. I will stick o5 from now on 60 hrs is to much for me

Pitched BRY97 24 hours ago and there isn't any activity. I thought maybe 45 seconds of O2 might help the lag, no luck.

jmich24 said:
Pitched BRY97 24 hours ago and there isn't any activity. I thought maybe 45 seconds of O2 might help the lag, no luck.

Patience my friend. Mine took almost 3 days to start bubbling but a small krausen formed much sooner

forstmeister said:
Patience my friend. Mine took almost 3 days to start bubbling but a small krausen formed much sooner

My experience has been the same. I'm just now getting around to fruiting this brown ale so we'll see how it tastes in a few more weeks.

Took off this morning, 36 hour lag, not terrible compared to others experience. Jack Mangrove look interesting!

Brewed a cream ale on Sunday with BRY-97, had an inch of dark brown/gray foam yesterday, and a wonderful smelling blowoff this morning. Wondering two things:
1) Will the hoppy smelling blowoff contribute to the reduced hop presence others have noticed with this strain? And

2) Has anyone (who has previously experienced diminished hop presence w/BRY-97) tried adding gypsum to help accentuate the hops to counteract the yeast?

Thanks!

experienced the same 36hour lag - not unexpected but thought perhaps it would be shorter since it's a 3.5gal batch of 1.047 wort aerated for 45sec with pure o2

i did not rehydrate since it was a smaller batch

Pitched last night around 4pm, noticeable inch foam within 16 hours and pressure in airlock.
Using it on my graham cracker ale.

Is no one else concerned with the lag?

More lag=more chance for infection in my eyes.

We SANITIZE our equipment, but having the sweet wort sit there for a few days without the yeast taking off in the first 12-24 hours is asking for trouble.

Is no one else concerned with the lag?

More lag=more chance for infection in my eyes.

We SANITIZE our equipment, but having the sweet wort sit there for a few days without the yeast taking off in the first 12-24 hours is asking for trouble.
that's one of the reasons I've stopped using it...not comfortable with the lag time.

I guess it's the only one dry yeast, when I'd recommend to make a starter and pitch it on high krausen. But that doesn't make sense actually, because if I'd do so, what's the point of using dry (read: ready to pitch and in excellent condition) yeast?

experienced the same 36hour lag - not unexpected but thought perhaps it would be shorter since it's a 3.5gal batch of 1.047 wort aerated for 45sec with pure o2

i did not rehydrate since it was a smaller batch

finally kegged this batch yesterday - ended up cold crashing for about 5 days because stuff kept coming up when I was planning to keg

beer came out crystal clear, crisp and did not have any yeast flavor like I generally notice with Notty

only hop addition was FWH with Mt Hood with grainbill of 30% rye - nice mild hop flavor which is what I was shooting for

will def use this strain again

Reading through this post it seems every one else has had serious lag time when using a starter. We're on day 4/5, keeping water in swamp cooler between 64 and 68. The airlock hasn't moved much, the hop smell that was very heavy has disappeared, but were not seeing any real signs that anything is happening. We're using a bucket so can't see what's going in inside, and we did not use a starter. Should we have seen some activity by now? Did the slow lag time and not using a starter kill our beer?

Burzlurker said:
Reading through this post it seems every one else has had serious lag time when using a starter. We're on day 4/5, keeping water in swamp cooler between 64 and 68. The airlock hasn't moved much, the hop smell that was very heavy has disappeared, but were not seeing any real signs that anything is happening. We're using a bucket so can't see what's going in inside, and we did not use a starter. Should we have seen some activity by now? Did the slow lag time and not using a starter kill our beer?

Didnt kill the beer. What temp did you pitch at?

Open the bucket and look to see if there is a krausen ring and take a gravity reading. It could have lagged and then finished in a couple of days.

Back