blichmann burner propane usage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orion7144

Reaction score
I finally ran out of propane using my new blichmann burner. Before when I had my jet burner I would get 2.5 10g batches. Started 15g batches and am getting just over 3 batches. I will have a more accurate number this time since a test boil with new kettle was involved in the last tank. Still pretty good considering I increased my batch size at the same time. Not to mention it is a lot quieter than the jet burner.

It would be interesting in comparing time to boil and gas consumption with the bayou classic that looks like a knock off without the wind shield. The difference in price is defiantly worth it considering the all stainless construction should last a lot longer. I was cheap when I started and the jet burner was on its last legs after only 10 or so brews.

Don't have the Blichmann nor the Bayou burners but just got a brand new burner with a turkey fryer.

Ran a test last night and it started well, showing mostly blue flame but as time progressed more orange colors were prominent. The instructions mentioned how to open/close the air intake, but I was unable to affect a change to get more efficient heating. The burner is driven by a 5 psi regulator and took 60 minutes to get to strike temp!! Not even boiling...

What can I try to make the burner more efficient and to heat quicker??

Oh, I had 7 gallons heating and the pot was about 3" above burner level. I'm not sure but would those facts slow down the boil to the degree I'm seeing?

Assuming everything else is brand new, it sounds like their might be a blockage or restriction in the burner itself... take a piece of wire and push it through the back of the disassembled burner and wiggle it a bit. Put it back together and try again. Spiders and the like tend to like those dark tunnels to build a web, even in a new in box one. Other than that my only guess is the regulator itself is bad.

Back