Tall boy kettles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demus

Reaction score
Anyone tried these new kettles from Northern Brewer? They seem great for the price. About $90 for the 8 gal, $115 for the 10 and $140 for the 15. Could you just drill a hole yourself for a kettle valve?
Tall Boy Kettles
SKU: U41091
Rating
1 Review(s)

The Tall Boy Kettle optimizes yield by promoting a vigorous boil, helpful in volatilizing off-flavors. It also minimizes losses from evaporation. The Tall Boy Kettles feature a 4mm tri-clad bottom (aluminum sandwiched between stainless steel) that reduces hot spots and minimizes scorching. This is a serious brew kettle at a price you won't want to pass up. The Tall Boy logo is etched into the kettle as evidence that you are in fact a discerning brewer.

Approximate Dimensions:

8 Gallon Tall Boy is 12.5" Wide by 15" Tall

10 Gallon Tall Boy is 13.3" Wide by 16" Tall

15 Gallon Tall Boy is 15.5" Wide by 18.6" Tall

« Back to Main Product Info

Could you just drill a hole yourself for a kettle valve?

I haven't used one but I thought they looked pretty sweet. They started advertising them right after I bought pots to replace my Rubbermaid Cooler Mash Tun and Hot Liquor Tank.

Re the hole, yes you can drill it yourself. I prefer to drill a pilot hole then use a 13/16” Greenlee chassis punch to make the hole. You end up with a perfect sized and burr-free hole for 1/2" fittings. You can get chassis punches pretty cheap off ebay if you're not in a huge hurry (I think I paid $10 for mine)...just make sure it's a radio/chassis punch (the actual hole diameter will be 13/16").

Back