Temperature control after fermentation complete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Green

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Pale ale and IPA in my fermenation chamber permanently at 68 degrees. They're 1 week old and fermentation appears to be complete but I dont plan to bottle for another week.

Is it ok to move them out of the chamber now to allow an extra 2 brews to go in?

The external temperature they will be subjected to will vary between 50-70 degrees.

Thanks

I do that all the time. My ambient temps are 54- 64 through out the year. I put an insulation wrap around them so they stay relatively constant or at least it takes awhile for temp change. Constant temp should be your goal after fermentation is complete.

The temperature matters when the yeast are busy eating the sugars and cleaning up the byproducts. Your week at 68 does that. After that period the main thing is to allow the trub and yeast to settle which can happen over a range of temperatures.

Yes you will be fine. The suck back on the airlock is a real potential and volume will depend on the volume of the headspace and the amount of daily temperature swings. If your headspace is not too large and temperature stays in the range you discussed the impact should be minimal. In addition at 1 week old the beer has a lot of dissolved CO2 and will off gas this beer during the course of the week. This will keep that headspace atmosphere mainly CO2 even if you get a tiny bit of air sucked back in. I did this all the time when I brewed in a variety of fermentors including plastic buckets that just don't seal all that well and carboys with a variety of air locks. I had at least the same temperature extremes you are dealing with in my unheated garage.

You will be fine brew on.

Back