Temperature after fermentation complete question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teufelhunde

Reaction score
I am finding that between 5 gallon batches, there are a couple of days where I end up buying store bought beer, and I am already spoiled to the point of preferring to NOT do that. I am looking at ways to increase my output.....

If I waited until I had verified that fermentation was complete by two identical FG readings two days apart, would I hurt the beer or cause any off flavors to remove the fermentor from my temperature controlled mini-fridge and put is on a shelf in a room that goes to 72-74 during the day and down to 68 or so at night and leave it there for 5-7 days for dry hopping or allowing the sediment to clear a bit? This would allow me to get another fermenting bucket and keep a rotation going.

TIA for the help

Lon

Assuming they are ales I see no problem with that. I'll usually bump the temp controller up to room temp after fermentation is done before I get around to kegging. I haven't tried a lager yet so I can't comment on them.

Assuming they are ales I see no problem with that. I'll usually bump the temp controller up to room temp after fermentation is done before I get around to kegging. I haven't tried a lager yet so I can't comment on them.

Yes, they are ales......

Lon

I had/have your exact same problem, and am taking a two-pronged approach to addressing it:

-With my existing equipment, the only thing I really "needed" to start doing 10 gallon batches was a 20gal boil kettle, so I got one of those and am about to tap the first keg from my first 10gallon batch. The second carboy from that batch is still in the fermeter so I can see if there is any difference from letting it condition in the fermenter a bit longer. But in general I'd say it is about 20% greater time commitment for double the beer, so I think it is a "good deal" for your time commitment, assuming the recipe is proven at smaller volume.

-I just got a "portable" electric heating element to supplement my heating and cut down on that part of the time required. So far I've just done some testing; yet to use it for a brew day, but my initial use is likely going to be setting it to come on about 45 minutes before I get home on a week night so I get home to pre-heated strike water and can start mashing immediately. This will save time (and propane) and should let me get a 5 gallon brew in on a weeknight. So I'm hoping to only have to blow a weekend day for a 10 gallon batch now.

If your ferm chamber can't hold at least two carboys, you'll probably want to upgrade to one that can sooner than later.

I am finding that between 5 gallon batches, there are a couple of days where I end up buying store bought beer, and I am already spoiled to the point of preferring to NOT do that. I am looking at ways to increase my output.....

How often do you brew 5 gal batches? I find that when I am able to brew 5 gal batches on a 2 week cycle, I outpace the amount of beer I can drink and give away.

For the most part, you could plan to leave your beer in the controlled environment for 6-7 days and move it out of the chamber. That assumes medium gravity ales using a common American/English yeast.

My general schedule has been to pitch at 64F to 66F, then around day 4 (as the krausen starts to drop) to boost the temp up to 70F to 72F. It seems to be working well for me.

Back