cold crashing in a swamp cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheChamber2113

Reaction score
Not really a question, just a post about something I'm trying. I'm getting close to bottling my IPA and I want to try using gelatin finings in it. I don't have a fridge that I can use to cold crash it so I'm attempting to do it in a swamp cooler with several frozen bottles of water. Not sure how much I can cool this down so it will be interesting. Started out at 61° so I guess time will tell. Anyone ever had success with this?

I have done this. I was able to get to 35 degrees from 60 over the course of a few days (can't say exactly, but it was less than a week) by using gallon milk jugs filled with ice.

Just be aware that freeze-thawing milk jugs will eventually cause them to leak, and they need to be replaced every now and then.

I am using a case and a half of water bottles (not enough room for milk jugs) I'm hoping I can bring it down to at least 40 some degrees overnight so I can add the gelatin tomorrow. Figure I'll keep it cold for at least a day and a half before I attempt bottling. I'm hoping that's enough.

Back