Can I keg a beer with only a corny keg and no CO2 equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnagel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Probably a really dumb newbie question, but I'll ask anyway. I want to enter a keg only competition, but I don't keg (I know, dumb right?). Well I actually have 2 corny kegs that I bought because they were a good deal to use when I actually do start kegging. But that is the extent of my kegging supplies.

So I know you can carbonate a beer in a keg with sugar, but it seems like you still need the CO2 to pressurize the keg, right?

And then I'd need CO2 to serve, right? Could I get away with those small CO2 cartridges for this 1 keg?

So am I crazy in even thinking about this or could this actually work?

You can carbonate with sugar in the keg. I have done it before. You just need to use a bit less sugar (I don't recall the exact amount). You do want to get a good seal on the keg and purge oxygen though. I suppose you could use the cartridges to do this but you may need multiples. They are designed for serving a fully carbed keg and I don't know how much CO2 they actually contain.

Thanks. Gives me some hope. Did your last line mean to say the cartridges are or aren't designed for dispensing?

Oh yeah, forgot to add, I think I'll only do a 3 gallon batch into a 5 gallon corny. Okay or not okay?

a 3 gallon batch in a 5 gallon keg will have too much head space and not carb properly if you are naturally carbing.

Something else to consider is that you will want to condition the beer after it finishes carbing.

IMO this seems like kinda a bad idea all around, but full steam ahead if you really want to enter this competition.

Also, Keg only?? that's kinda weird.

Why not just use the money you would spend on that and put it towards a real co2 bottle? Might be a little extra money but you will probably be glad you did in the long run.

Yes, 3G batch is ok in 5g keg but that's more co2 you new to purge so again it's worth it to buy the real bottle.

a 3 gallon batch in a 5 gallon keg will have too much head space and not carb properly if you are naturally carbing.

Something else to consider is that you will want to condition the beer after it finishes carbing.

IMO this seems like kinda a bad idea all around, but full steam ahead if you really want to enter this competition.

Also, Keg only?? that's kinda weird.
The World's Largest! :)

What do you mean condition the beer after carbing?

Why not just use the money you would spend on that and put it towards a real co2 bottle? Might be a little extra money but you will probably be glad you did in the long run.

Yes, 3G batch is ok in 5g keg but that's more co2 you new to purge so again it's worth it to buy the real bottle.
Yeah, you might be right, but it's at least $100 for a tank and regulator, right? That's a bit much if I don't have any immediate plans to keg.

Yeah, you might be right, but it's at least $100 for a tank and regulator, right? That's a bit much if I don't have any immediate plans to keg.

You can rent a CO2 tank, check your local LHBS. Mines does $13 a tank. Amazon carries good deals for kegging equipment, nearly $20 cheaper than the LHBS or check out Craigslist, someone in your area may be selling theirs. It's a worthy longterm investment though.

The World's Largest! :)

What do you mean condition the beer after carbing?

Holding the beer at a fridge temps for a few weeks.

I second the idea of just getting a kegging set up. It will make participation in the comp way easier and you wont be disappointed when you have a keg set up afterwards.

FWIW 95% of the people who I have seen post about carbing a keg with sugar have done it once, and then never again.

Ah thanks. I would have to do some major moving of a lot of beer in the beer fridge. I'll have to think long and hard if this is worth it. Seems like it won't be.

Xpertskir said:
Holding the beer at a fridge temps for a few weeks.

I second the idea of just getting a kegging set up. It will make participation in the comp way easier and you wont be disappointed when you have a keg set up afterwards.

FWIW 95% of the people who I have seen post about carbing a keg with sugar have done it once, and then never again.

I have only done it when the keg fridge was full and I had time. It wasn't all that effective for me as it still seemed to take a week in the fridge on gas to fully carb

I'm in that 95%.

If you gonna mess with kegging get a regulator and a CO2 bottle. Regulators can be had for like $35 to $40 from harbor freight. You don't need anything fancy.

You can even use a paint ball CO2 if you are so inclined. They sell adapters for the regulators at Rebel Brew (at least the did at one point, not sure if they still do) and i'd inagine a lot of other vendors as well.

Back