I f*****d up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texcan2000

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm rather new here and messed up. Well, I made beer and I'll drink it so maybe not so bad.
About me, I'm from Canada, live in Texas and work as a flight nurse/medic. SWMBO is a nurse also, from Germany (who is really looking foward to this beer). Anyway, we travel to Germany every year and I love the beers so thought I'd make a Bavarian Hefeweizen for my second batch, it was extract from Northern Brewer. It's been in bottles for a week, and I was set to do another batch today, an extract Porter. Well, I take the yeast out of the fridge and lo and behold, it's Danstar Munich wheat yeast! So, obviously I made a slurry with the Windsor yeast and pitched into my Hefeweizen. The beer at bottling time didn't have much character. Everything thing else I believe, from reading the stickies on this forum and John Palmers How to Brew I did reasonably well. So, should I expect drinkable and bland as the precarbed beer tasted or rather, how bad did I f*** up?
Thank you all for your time.

Well it won't have the flavor you were looking for, but it will be beer. Drink it, have a laugh, learn from your mistake, and move on. Who knows, it might not taste all that bad when it's ready. In the future just make sure you pitch the right yeast. ;)

Also, let us know how it turns out. I'm curious.

I'm fairly good at hangman... There's 2 u's. He forgot the third one.:tank:

Congratulations, you just created a new style: English Wheat Beer! All kidding aside, it should be fine. The beer won't have the distinct hef flavor, and it will have a bit more flavor than an American Wheat.

Lmao! I like U's. I will enjoy my English Wheat! Cutting edge brewing going on down here in south Texas, lol!

Lol, fortunately one can't hop on a helicopter as a beginner.
More fortunately a mistake in brewing beer isn't one that demands going out on your shield.

It actually turned out quite well. It was windsor yeast I pitched by accident. No clove or banana flavors but very fresh and pleasant tasting! Thank you all for your advice.

Palmer's spring "lawnmower beer" is a lightly hopped 100% wheat extract ale with S-05. And having given it a shot myself, I'm not surprised if yours turned pale, crisp, refreshing and just a little watery :)

Now, I'm SUPER excited to see how your Dunkel-Weißbier comes out.... Cause depending on your porter recipe that's what you'll get!

In fact, if you don't mind, I'd love to see the ingredients included in your porter kit. I'd be down to help tweak the recipe a little to better fit the dunkelweiß style if your game! Andechs Dunkelweiß was a staple when I lived in Munich and just thinking about that divine wheat-juice gets me hankering to brew one up :)

The Porter recipe was an extract kit from northern brewer. The bourbon porter. I did the use the proper yeast for that batch as I went to take the yeast out of the fridge on brew day on saw it was the danstar Munich wheat. That's how I knew I messed up, lol. I then ordered the windsor yeast and brewed when it arrived. I'm using the Munich yeast on an all grain batch now and plan on washing it for future batches.
Andechs is amazing. The walk up the long way made me very thirsty:). I would love to try to clone some of those beers. That place is pure magic!

Danstar list Windsor as suitable for weizen and hefe. I'm sure at 70f+ you'll get something other than clean and crisp. Also they recommend rehydration at 85-95f. Not sure about that.

I brewed 2 of midwest's PM Berlin wheats with WY3056 Bavarian Wheat blend yeast. One is ready for fridge time today & the other needs to be tested & bottled with some Trulemon in the priming solution. The test samples reminded me of a cross between Paulaner & Franziskaner wheats. We'll se in a few days how the first batch tastes. I'm really curious how the WY3056 turns out in the final beer.

texcan2000 said:
Danstar list Windsor as suitable for weizen and hefe. I'm sure at 70f+ you'll get something other than clean and crisp. Also they recommend rehydration at 85-95f. Not sure about that.

It was clean and crisp for a Hefe. Being as it was windsor yeast i didnt swirl the bottom on all of them. i found it comparable to Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis.

Back