My second brew was a mad success!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric_618

Reaction score
I cracked open the first bottle of my second batch yesterday, and it was effing great!! It was based off Midwest's Ferocious IPA extract kit, but I modded it a good deal, just to play around. I added the extract 25/75 at boil and 55 minutes, added a pound of honey at flame out, and changed the hops up, adding Cascade and Chinook to the mix, while dropping the Warrior. i used White Labs Ale yeast. I added whirfloc late in the boil, and cold crashed two days before bottling, after sitting in the primary for three and a half weeks. I dry-hopped in the primary, in a hop bag. It might be one of the best IPAs I've literally ever had! It's very grapefruity, which i love. If I wasn't hooked on homebrewing before this batch, I sure as hell am now!

I will be making this one again!

Thanks to all of you on this forum for your awesome advice for a n00b like myself!

Awesome, my second brew was an IPA as well. It was a racer 5 clone I got from my LBS. it's been bottled 3 weeks today. While still a little flat, it tastes awesome as well!

Care to share your recipe?

Awesome, my second brew was an IPA as well. It was a racer 5 clone I got from my LBS. it's been bottled 3 weeks today. While still a little flat, it tastes awesome as well!

Care to share your recipe?

Sure. Most of it is in the OP. Drop the Warrior to .5 ounce. When you mix up the Citra and Amarillo, drop the Citra amount to .5 ounce, add .5 ounce of both the Cascade and Chinook, and split it up into 5 even parts. With 20 minutes left in the boil, add one of those every five minutes, with the last at flameout, with the honey.

Everything else I mentioned above, or is in the Midwest recipe. I used bottled spring water for the post-boil water.

Back