Amarillo hops shortage???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malted_hops

Reaction score
Went to the lhbs today to pick up supplies for the weekend and they were out of Amarillo hops. The guy said there was a shortage and they couldn't get any. Has anyone else heard anything like this? Or is it just a problem for them? I got 1 oz each of Centennial and Cascade to replace the 1.5 oz of Amarillo i wanted, could this work?

thanks Eric

I needed some a few weeks ago and my LHBS said they were out since January. FWIW, they suggested equal parts Cascade and Kent Goldings as a replacement.

Most likely your hobby shop is going through a nationwide distributor like LD Carlson or Cosby and Baker.. Those companies are out of Amarillo. I haven't been able to buy bulk Amarillo from LD since last October. Been sold out ever since.

HAte to blow up my favorite spot but always love giving them buisness.

Farmhouse Brewing Supply. Best place for hops HANDS DOWN!
Plus there a supporting vendor of this community!!

There may have been a shortage but a lot of suppliers should still have some in stock. You may have to look to online supply stores farmhousebrewingsupply.com is my go to place for hops. Most quantities are in the 4oz packs and its cheaper than single oz packs. Hope you can find some.

I knew there was a bit of a shortage for the demand, but I've been able to find it in most places near me. Leaf has been a bit short, but I've been able to manage 2# of leaf and 2# of pellet pretty easily thus far this year without much trying..

It's apparently more scarce than Citra.

Guess I'll order some for the next time, don't think they would get here in time for this brew. Thanks for the link Johnny and TNT.

I have no problem finding around here now, just picked up 3 packets the other day. That being said, one of the brewers at a brewery I volunteer for told me that they had to push back a batch they were doing for months because they couldn't get Amarillo until recently, I remember it being impossible to find anywhere around me last year.

I have several shops that I visit, depending on work/school/home schedule. What one absolutely can't get is often in stock elsewhere.

You might try Nikobrew. It's where I get some of the harder to find hop varieties.

http://www.nikobrew.com/

FATC1TY said:
I knew there was a bit of a shortage for the demand, but I've been able to find it in most places near me. Leaf has been a bit short, but I've been able to manage 2# of leaf and 2# of pellet pretty easily thus far this year without much trying..

It's apparently more scarce than Citra.

If u can find so often u mind sending some my way!?! Btw citra is bottled now im sure we can work sumtin out u can get some beer mail!?

Was reading on probrewer and Ballast Point is basically begging for Amarillo hops. There is definitely a shortage.

I was just able to pick some up today (pellets), but my LHBS has had trouble stocking them in the past.

My shop called me yesterday to ask if I wanted them to hold some back, since they were running low and would not be able to get any more this year. I'm not sure, but I think this confirms my wife's belief that I spend too much on brewing.

My shop called me yesterday to ask if I wanted them to hold some back, since they were running low and would not be able to get any more this year. I'm not sure, but I think this confirms my wife's belief that I spend too much on brewing.

LMAO . You know your a homebrewer when your LHBS CALLS YOU.

Amarillo has never been in plentiful supply. it's a proprietary strain that's been popular ever since it came out.

Last year was the first year that there was Amarillo grown on multiple farms - lots of expansions. Unfortunately there was a terrible crop due to mites and floods in multiple places. It was so bad that hop union pelletalized everything, no leaf. If everything goes according to plans next year there should be much more on the market. At least I hope so.

I believe not having enough for demand would be a shortage.

To me asking "is there a shortage of Amarillo this year" suggests that there is not as much available as has been in the past. But, having just looked up "economic shortage" I see that it's simply supply not meeting demand. I stupid. :drunk:

Edit: I bought a pound back when the new crop was released and have only used a few ounces so there's no shortage here.

rebel brewer has amarillo in stock still for $2.75 an ounce, they ship pretty too I've used them before. i'm not affiliated with them just a previous/happy customer.

...it's $7 for 4oz of last year's crop.

And just to clarify, he is selling what most people would actually consider "this year's crop" at this point in time, or more "current harvest" crops. Because the Amarillo harvest happens once a year in the fall, the newest Amarillo hops anybody could be selling right now would be from the 2012 harvest.

And just to clarify, he is selling what most people would actually consider "this year's crop" at this point in time, or more "current harvest" crops. Because the Amarillo harvest happens once a year in the fall, the newest Amarillo hops anybody could be selling right now would be from the 2012 harvest.

I should have specified, last calendar year. An important point to make. Thank you for the clarification.

Latest posts

Back