Tell me what to brew next! (poll)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should 3 Dawg Night brew next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you want something quick, a kveik IPA should take about a week all told but I voted for the oatmeal stout because they are a favorite of mine. I just kegged a bourbon stout that I make every winter and always turns out excellent.

Last edited:
I take into account what ingredients I have on hand, what other beers I already have on hand, styles I like/dislike, and the time of year.

Beers brewed at the beginning of Feb could be ready to drink around the middle of March. Do you like Irish Stout and/or Irish Red and do you have one already for St. Patty’s Day? Although isn’t it also silly to brew 50 beers or so to have for one day - unless you’re having a party or a bunch of people over? Middle of March is also generally Bock season.

What base grains or remains of purchased sacks do you have on hand? What hops do you have in the fridge? Biggest of all - what yeast do you have available that maybe you made a beer with already that you can make more beer out of? Free yeast is the best yeast.

What other beers do you have on hand that will still be on hand when this beer is ready? What would be a good compliment? I try to plan so I don’t have all golden beers or all dark beers, etc on hand at the same time.

Finally, what do you like to drink and what do you think you will want to be drinking in 6 or 7 weeks? Anything you’ve been thinking about or had a desire for?

No, I never overthink things. 😀

I voted Schwarzbier. IMO it's a year-round beer, despite the color it is a refreshing beer. I've brewed several, and I shy away from recipes like you see at the online retailers with 4 or 5 grains. What's worked best for me is around 85% pilsner, 10% munich, 5% Carafa III, with noble hops and any lager yeast.

Do you like Irish Stout and/or Irish Red and do you have one already for St. Patty’s Day? Although isn’t it also silly to brew 50 beers or so to have for one day - unless you’re having a party or a bunch of people over?
I do like Irish stout, and it was my last brew, so I already have one on hand.

What base grains or remains of purchased sacks do you have on hand? What hops do you have in the fridge? Biggest of all - what yeast do you have available that maybe you made a beer with already that you can make more beer out of? Free yeast is the best yeast.
I really only buy 2-row in bulk, and that only when I see a sale. I don't buy a ton of hops at a time, and I haven't tried rinsing/storing/reusing yeast.

What other beers do you have on hand that will still be on hand when this beer is ready? What would be a good compliment?
As stated in my original post, I try to cycle through bitter, malty, dark, and "Brewer's Choice" with my brewing. When this one rolls around, I'll likely already have my Irish stout, a Kolsch, and a Belgian pale ale on tap. My keg of Pliny clone may or may not have kicked by then as well.

Finally, what do you like to drink and what do you think you will want to be drinking in 6 or 7 weeks? Anything you’ve been thinking about or had a desire for?
Sours are not my favorite, but I can drink them if they're not mouth-puckeringly sour. Other than that, I love all styles. My most frequent brews are APAs and ambers.

This is one I’ve had on a back burner for awhile that I really want to do some time.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/pirate-strong-ale.318340/
I've seen that one too and been intrigued! I'd like to try it out one of these days!

Ive tried a bunch of kveik strains and ive come to the conclusion they just arent for me. The esters left behind are atrocious and ive found that Lutra is the mildest and still pushes the esters, maybe im just getting old.

I voted Munich Dunkel. Would love to try one someday so need pics for inspiration.

I have an english bitter as my house beer- I'm from England and moved to states.
Found a recipe for my hometown bitter I missed drinking so started to brew it

I voted Munich Dunkel. Would love to try one someday so need pics for inspiration.

I have an english bitter as my house beer- I'm from England and moved to states.
Found a recipe for my hometown bitter I missed drinking so started to brew it
I love this. This is why we brew.

I picked BdG because it is different. My personal suggestion is a gose. I love the style, salty and sour, and you can do a lot with it. I've done Margarita and dill pickle both are awesome beers. :mug:
Are you willing to give out the recipe for the Dill Pickle beer. I want to try and make one like Spicy Pickle Monster by Prarie Artisan Ales.

This will be my first attempt at a Munich Dunkel, base on looking at the BJCP guides. It is at the lower end of ABV and bitterness ranges. Chocolate malt to add color but also hope a small amount of chocolate flavor to end up in the finish product.
munich dunkel
Munich Dunkel (8 A)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Efficiency: 75.00 %
Mash: Single Infusion, Medium Body(152F)
Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.9 %
Bitterness: 22.3 IBUs
Est Color: 16.6 SRM

Ingredients
Amt
Name
Type
#
%/IBU
Volume