Bottled in San Diego

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, we live in IPAland!!
With another 20 opening up this year too..
Hopefully not too many for the north county...we don't need more imo..
Guess I haven't been impressed with any of the newer breweries lately..
Igotsand

Yes, we live in IPAland!!
With another 20 opening up this year too..
Hopefully not too many for the north county...we don't need more imo..
Guess I haven't been impressed with any of the newer breweries lately..
Igotsand

LOL that is how we feel here in Sonoma. IMO we have two of the best ipa's around. Lagunitas IPA and of course, RR pliney the elder.

There are too many breweries in this city now. Any crummy home brewer thinks they can open up in this town. Some of these newer ones are horrible. I never pour out beer -- but I have from a few local newbies.

I think we will see a lot of equipment on the market....el cajon brewing is a great example that just being a brewery (or brewpub in this case) doesn't mean sales if the beer is bad.

I have heard of one brewery down there, has a native American name I believe, whose beer tastes like soap! My brother brought it to their attention only to be given an attitude. They said he was the first person to complain yet there are a bunch of reviews that said the same thing. Anybody can open a brewery with enough money.

trent said:
There are too many breweries in this city now. Any crummy home brewer thinks they can open up in this town. Some of these newer ones are horrible. I never pour out beer -- but I have from a few local newbies.

IMHO craft beer is in the later stages of a bubble. "Craft" is hot, so these places are opening and serving a demographic that hasn't yet learned -- and who mostly will move on to something else in a year -- to discern the quality breweries from the non-quality breweries. So for the time being, everyone is surviving.

It'll crash, and a lot of these breweries will go under.

That said, I'm long-term bullish on craft beer. There are today >7000 wineries in the US and only a bit over 2000 breweries. The coming crash is a way to separate the quality breweries from the weak, but eventually I think the US can support more breweries than wineries -- especially since the profit margins for on-premises sale are pretty good. It'll just be a much more local/neighborhood thing.

BeastMaster said:
I'm predicting that Modern Times will be the best one opening in 2013.

Ohh geez,
MT is not even open and there is SO much hype about this place all ready.
Sorry but have you seen the kickstarter from them? Really?
I'll give them credit with gettin the top brewers from everywhere..
Igotsand

I can't speak for Indian Joe's, but El Cajon Brewing was a brewpub that didn't make good food. Brewpubs are 95% restaurant, 5% beer.

Anyway, I'd love to say that San Diegans won't support bad beer, but that's not, strictly speaking, entirely true. Most of the new guys are turning out great beer, even the nanos. Low barrier to entry and low operating costs will help them weather the bubble (and there is a bubble) better then the breweries that spent a lot more on equipment and space but aren't delivering on their promises of great beer.

It's all a question of how long a nano brewer can keep up the nonstop backbreaking work for no pay and live on satisfaction alone.

Ohh geez,
MT is not even open and there is SO much hype about this place all ready.
Sorry but have you seen the kickstarter from them? Really?
I'll give them credit with gettin the top brewers from everywhere..
Igotsand

Yeah I've tried the beer as well. The hype is real.

Back