Another Pliny question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storytyme

Reaction score
I would love to go through all the forums for an answer, but I don't have the time, so please humor me on this. My Pliny all grain clone will be at 5 days tomorrow at 4:45pm. I am trying to do everything exactly as the recipe says so I will be transferring it to a secondary for dry hopping after 5 days (tomorrow). What has me hesitant is it is still fermenting like crazy as of this morning (Friday). It may calm down by tomorrow (Sat) evening, but what if it doesn't? Do I wait for it to calm down, or just transfer and it will get going again. Should I base all this on it's gravity reading? Any ideas or experiences with this would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Wait until it slows down. If you rack it off the primary yeast cake too early it likely will not attenuate all the way down which can ruin any beer, but especially a beer like this that is dry by design.

Following recipe instructions to the letter is rarely feasible, there are just too many variables in play.

+1

Your fermentation conditions may be different than the recipe, so give yeast the time it needs. Plus, consider that fermentation activity can reduce the effectiveness of dry hopping--all that escaping CO2 scrubs the aromatic compounds that dry hopping is supposed to provide.

Yeah, don't use dates and timelines to decide when it's done. Use gravity readings. I would not dry hop anything until fermentation is complete, which means stable gravity readings over 2-3 days.

I just added half dry hop at day 10 to primary, let sit for 8 more days then racked to secondary on top of remaining dry hop for 5 more days. It finished at 1.007

I would do something like brewinginnc. Throw some of the dry hop in primary and rack to secondary once it is done fermenting. Or you can just extend the secondary to fit the dry hopping schedule once primary is done.

Back