How much yeast should I add to my lager for bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrustyOlJohnson

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am currently lager and allgrain Schwarzbier and an Amber Bock clone and should be ready to bottle the first week of May. At that time I will transfer the contents of a secondary and add the corn sugar in boiled/cooled water with an amount of S-05 to the bottling bucket and bottle. How much yeast should I use. My LHBS guy believes 1/4 tsp sounds about right but hat i should ask around. Any thoughts?

I have a scale so I can measure grams and see if thats close to 1/4 tsp. i transferred each to the secondary at 4 weeks and it will lager at about 6 weeks at 38. Its two weeks in and pretty clarified with almost no yeast on the bottom.

Now, I have 2 5 gallon secondarys with oktoberfest and I wish to add some yeast slurry for bottling. They will have been lagering for 12 weeks. I saved and washed my Oktoberfest yeast and I am goin to take one of the four jars and make a starter, cold crash it and pour off the liquid. How much of the slurry should I add to each batch?

johnpcook1 said:
Now, I have 2 5 gallon secondarys with oktoberfest and I wish to add some yeast slurry for bottling. They will have been lagering for 12 weeks. I saved and washed my Oktoberfest yeast and I am goin to take one of the four jars and make a starter, cold crash it and pour off the liquid. How much of the slurry should I add to each batch?

Want to get a HB talk opinion on this. The guy at my LHBS and I are guess onr tbsp of slurry per 5 gallons at bottling. Any opinions?

Back