Taps pouring differently

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dbedard41

Reaction score
I have a two tap keezer. Both beers are lagers and are set to the same psi with duotight secondary regulators. The first tap in the system has a strong clear pour. I just tapped the second and noticed it pouring much slower. I released pressure from the keg and reset the pressure. It pours at about the same rate but noticed it is not clear and much more foamy than before or the other tap. I'm using nukataps and duotight connections and lines. Any suggestions?

Are these new kegs? First thing I always look at if I'm having foaming issues (and the keg isn't overcarbed, that's a whole nother story), is the o-ring at the top of the dip tube. That little bugger may look fine, but if it's even just a bit worn it can cause foaming issues. If nothing else it's a very cheap fix.

and if you're using universal poppets...might be safer to snip a ring off the poppet,
He means snipping a turn off the bottom (wide end) of the (pyramidal) spring of "universal poppets."
As they are they are a tad too long for a comfortable fit, and may be difficult to compress, restricting flow.

If you have standard poppets, with the little "tripod" on the bottom (not universal ones), the spring load is normally balanced.

He means snipping a turn off the bottom (wide end) of the

damn you're right! but now i think maybe the small end would be better, because i caught one my poppets snipped bottom end gouging my dip tube o ring when i disassembled it...and the little plunger has an all metall base the spring pushes up on...

damn you're right! but now i think maybe the small end would be better, because i caught one my poppets snipped bottom end gouging my dip tube o ring when i disassembled it...and the little plunger has an all metall base the spring pushes up on...
I've seen and worked with the universal poppet/spring combos, but I don't have them myself. From what I've read you'd remove a bottom turn, not from the top.

I think taking a turn off the top (narrow) end of the spring may cause problems, as the the poppet won't be able to sit square and aligned inside the top turn of the spring. It has to be properly aligned and oriented, without tilting or skewing, so it can plug the hole in the post and make a positive seal there.

probably right..maybe i took two turns off and mine, and was turning 'against the grain' when i tightened the post down....

Back