Do these recipe kit mods sound reasonable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_G

Reaction score
I bought an amber ale kit from my local home brew store. It contains 6.5 lbs of Briess Golden Light LME, 1 lb Briess Munich LME, 1 lb Cararuby Malt, 12 oz Crystal 801 Malt, 3 oz of Columbus Hop Pellets (to be added at various points during the boil), Safale US-05 dry yeast.

I made a 1L yeast starter using Wyeast 1056 to replace the Safale US-05. I have some light DME left over from the yeast starter and I thought I might add it along with the LME. I have about 1/4lb of Chocolate Malt and I thought I would steep that along with the Cararuby and Crystal Malts. Finally I plan to replace the Columbus Hops with 2oz of Cascade hop pellets and 1oz of Mt. Hood hop pellets.

So do these sound like reasonable mods or am I about to ruin a perfectly good amber ale kit?

Seems to me 1056 & US-05 are about the same yeast-wise. The chocolate malt is mostly just going to darken the color a lot. With a lil darker roastiness. Save the light DME for another starter. I'd leave the Columbus hops,as they aren't quite as grapefruity as cascade. So I'm saying just leave it as an amber. The other stuff will give more of a dark ale or other.

I made a batch of Denny's Wry Smile rye ipa. It's hopped with a combination of mount hood and Columbus. Amazing combination.

I'd think about swapping in the mount hood you have for the last Columbus addition and then dry hopping with the saved Columbus.

I think you will learn more about the flavor of you ingredients if you keep it simple so I'd not use the cascades or make any other changes.

Back