Blichmann Kettle Heating Element Position

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pezzonovante11

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the lowest possible position one could put a 4500 watt ripple element in a blichmann kettle is?

What I am really after is the minimum water level above the bottom of the pot to have the element just submerged. I'm guessing about 1.5-1.75 inches. I have an idea for a new system and this is integral to doing some calculations.

I figure enough of you have done this that someone must know, but my searches haven't helped any.

Thanks in advance

I don't have a Blichmann but this might help. I recently built something similar to Kal's Electric Brewery. It's going to partially depend on how you do your electrical connection. If you use a double gang box, you'll probably have to go minimum about 2.25" on center. If you use something smaller to enclose the electrical, you could go lower but then you have to contend with the curvature of the pot as it transitions from side to bottom.

It will slightly depend on what/how you pot the element. If you have some huge housing, you'll obviously need to move the element up the kettle slightly. Other than that, I would say install it at either the 10:00 or 2:00 position so your cord and stuff isn't keeping your brewstand from hugging a wall when stored.

I plan on welding a 1/1.5" sanitary ferrule and using this:

I would probably use this: http://www.brewershardware.com/TC15F10NPSCOV.html for the electrical connection, so I'd weld a triclamp ferrule to the pot.

I guess what I really need to know is, how far up the side does the curvature stop and become flat to where the bottom of a hole can go.

No biggie, I may not even end up going with a blichmann at all, but definitely a flat-bottom pot of some type.

Thanks for the replies

No prob.

I have 2 Blichmann's set up the exact way you are describing. I had 2 ferrules welded in and am using that same element adapter. It's a slick outfit. Good luck squeezing a ripple element through those ferrules though. I had to go with straight elements.

Would you like a pic or a specific measurement?

Back