Tan and black ? With Dragon's milk and Juice force ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jokester

Reaction score
I measured 1.015 SG for the Dragon's milk 12% bourbon barrel aged stout. And a shocking 1.00 even for the Juice force IPA by voodoo ranger. Limited edition beer and absolutely knock out good.
Will the stout float on the ipa ? Doesn't the IPA have to have higher SG than the floating stout ?

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but in general you layer the lower final gravity beer over the higher final gravity beer. In a typical black and tan, the stout floats because Guinness has a lower FG than the pale ales typically used for the bottom.

If you try to put a 1.015 stout over a 1.000 IPA, that's not going to work, at least not for long.

Yea, that's why I'll have to call it a tan and black. Its going to have to be upside down Black and tan.

Yup, first try, tan and black it is.

Attachments

• Tan_and_black.jpg
    Tan_and_black.jpg
    623.8 KB · Views: 0
My 2nd tan and black - And its staying separated even as I drink it. But, juice force comes in cans only, my pour is clumsy because of that. I'm pretty sure if I had a bottle for the upper layer I'll get it much better.
However I also am drinking just the tan part now and all the stout is going to be only available when the IPA is all done. IMHO, its a great visual, but not a drink that's greater than the sum of its parts.

Attachments

• Tan_and_black2.jpg
    Tan_and_black2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
No it was good to drink, just not better than the sum of the parts. This layering worked so well it didn't mix even as I got to the separation layer. The pale ale stayed on top and I was sipping that till it was all gone before the stout came into play. On my first one I used the pourer only for about 1/2 the tan, and after some foam died down I direct poured causing the 2 to mix. Its fine, just not better than the sum of its parts. BTW I have to have a simple black and tan with Harp and guiness I guess. I haven't had that in a long time. Like 20 yrs or so.

LOL, to make good use of the pourer turtle I should try to float diet coke on top of regular sprite or some such weirdness. Cos a tan and black doesn't make for anything better than each by itself.

The turtle right ? Oh its like an upside down spoon but its the shape of a turtle and its legs go over the rim of the glass and the mouth of the turtle doubles as a rather dismal bottle opener. Or more like bottle top chewer upper. The turtle itself works well as a layering tool. The imperfections are due to other factors like having a can and not bottle for the top layer. The bottom layer works fine with a can, you're supposed to pour it hard and get a solid head. Nitrogen aerated beer like guiness will likely make excellent bottom if you intended to use a low gravity IPA like that juice force for the upper layer.

The turtle right ? Oh its like an upside down spoon but its the shape of a turtle and its legs go over the rim of the glass and the mouth of the turtle doubles as a rather dismal bottle opener. Or more like bottle top chewer upper. The turtle itself works well as a layering tool. The imperfections are due to other factors like having a can and not bottle for the top layer. The bottom layer works fine with a can, you're supposed to pour it hard and get a solid head. Nitrogen aerated beer like guiness will likely make excellent bottom if you intended to use a low gravity IPA like that juice force for the upper layer.
I actually meant the two layer beer thing, but thanks for explaining the turtle as I have never heard about that one before too. :D

Black and tan typically is made with Harp's on the bottom and guiness stout on top. But seeing as I used dragon milk - 1.015 SG and Juice force IPA at under 1.00 SG, the stout cant float on top. So I made a tan and black LOL. It stays separated as you drink it, its just a visual treat. Taste wise its like drinking one, then the other.
PS: Hehehehe - I can try to float the zinfandel on top of the cab sauv. They're 1.01 and 1.02 FG. They cant head, so they'd likely mix. But would be fun. Heck I could freeze the cab and layer the zin on it warm and see if it holds as it melts.

PS: The srinath (The real name behind Jokester - only on 2 forums I am jokester, on 1 I am The Buddha - changed against my will by a local friend of mine conspiring with the owner of the site and on all the rest I am Srinath) will concoct things to the point of ... well there may be no point. Just to concoct. Why would anyone think of floating diet coke on top of sprite when I dont care for either ??? LOL, just because I can. Have Turtle will float could be my new slogan.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to get Guiness and harp's over the weekend and try it right side up. But I also will be gravity checking them. I cant imagine an IPA being higher gravity than the guiness stout. Guiness is almost thick and chewy like oatmeal.

I'm hoping to get Guiness and harp's over the weekend and try it right side up. But I also will be gravity checking them. I cant imagine an IPA being higher gravity than the guiness stout. Guiness is almost thick and chewy like oatmeal.

Guinness is a Dry Stout. The clue to its low final gravity is right there in the BJCP style name.

Oh, OK you know its final gravity ? Under 1 ?? If so, maybe I'll float it on the Juice force. In any case, Juice force is back in stock, so the harp's guiness black and tan has to wait for now. Weekend is juice force drinking time.

Oh, OK you know its final gravity ? Under 1 ??

It's not under 1.000. But it doesn't have to be. It just has to be less dense than the beer it's going to float on, which in the case of your Harp Lager or Bass Pale Ale (the original bottom for Black and Tans) it is. The exact beers (i.e. brands) matter here. It would be easy to find other low ABV stouts that are denser than some lagers or pale ales, which would make layering impossible (or very temporary).

I haven't measured the FG of Guinness. Others have, and have reported numbers in the range of 1.005 to 1.008

Oh yea, I remember. Bass PA was the original yea, harps was the one on youtube done by someone who actually mentioned that it was what he had on hand, but I also believe its an age old swap.

I got more juice force and the 1.005-1.008 Guiness may actually be an alright bottom for the tan and black. It is nitrogen carbonated. But which guiness, The basic 4% abv one or they have like 12 versions, nitro stout, nitro coffee stout, a baltimore blonde and a 6% abv "stronger" version - and they were out of the original 4% at wally world. The good thing is, it can be in cans, bottom needs to be poured hard, so can works just as well.

Back