Possible infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewort

Reaction score
I dropped my rubber stopper in my batch after I sanitized the bottom and outside. The top and inner cylinder were not sanitized (although they weren't dirty to the naked eye). Should I be worried about my batch? it's been a week since, and I just re-racked it.

It's probably fine. I have to ask, how are you so thoroughly precise with your sanitation technique that you sanitized the bottom and sides of your stopper without sanitizing the top and inside? I mean it's an all or nothing kind of thing really, dip it in the sanitizer and your done. Are you trying to wipe the sanitizer on with a rag or something?

It's probably fine. I have to ask, how are you so thoroughly precise with your sanitation technique that you sanitized the bottom and sides of your stopper without sanitizing the top and inside? I mean it's an all or nothing kind of thing really, dip it in the sanitizer and your done. Are you trying to wipe the sanitizer on with a rag or something?

haha, good question. I finished putting my batch into my secondary, took the stopped/airlock from my primary, dipped the bottom and sides in sanitizer (because that's the only part that would be exposed to the beer) put it in my secondary and accidentally pushed it through the neck of the carboy and when I tried to get it out (yes, I was very careful) it came off and fell in.

You're probably lucky and OK if nothing happened after a week.

But you should review your sanitation practices. Airlocks and bungs are bug traps. Clean and resanitize those assemblies is not a luxury.
I always spray Starsan like crazy around the carboy necks before removing any bungs/airlocks/blow-offs.

When pulling the bung out, some of that sprayed-on liquid always leaks inside. It best be Starsan.

Back