Design an IPA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, so I have some remnants of different hops that need to be put to use. Here is where you can help. I'd like suggestions as to how to use these hops. This is what I have on hand...

1 oz. Cascade AA 8.9%
.5 oz Simcoe AA 14.1%
1.25 oz Centennial AA 10.3%
.5 oz Nugget AA 12.4%
1.25 oz German Magnum AA 13.5%

I have plenty of 2 row and am currently set up for 5 gallon full boil batches. Suggestions on a recipe?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

I would bitter with the Magnum for sure. I've not used Nugget so not sure where I'd put that. Maybe something like this:

1.25 oz Magnum 60 min
0.5 oz Nugget 30 min
0.5 oz Casacade 15 min
0.5 oz Centennial 10 min
0.5 oz Cascade flameout
0.75 oz Centennial flameout
0.5 oz Simcoe flameout

I like huge flamout additions, with a 20 min or so whirlpool but I would also dry hop a couple ounces after that. If you only have these hops, maybe take half the flameout additions and add to dry hop instead.

Edit: As for grain bill, I would probably use all 2 row, with maybe a half pound of C-20, maybe some carapils. Get your OG around 1.060-1.066 or so.

Looks like you've got the makings of a great IPA. 10lbs 2row, 1lb C60, 1/2lb wheat

0.75oz magnum 60m
0.5oz cascade 0.5oz nugget 15m
0.5oz centennial 0.5oz simcoe 0m

Dry hop 0.75oz centennial, 0.5oz cascade 0.25 magnum

That should put you around OG 1.059 with around 55-60 IBU. Should be tasty.

Looks like you've got the makings of a great IPA. 10lbs 2row, 1lb C60, 1/2lb wheat

0.75oz magnum 60m
0.5oz cascade 0.5oz nugget 15m
0.5oz centennial 0.5oz simcoe 0m

Dry hop 0.75oz centennial, 0.5oz cascade 0.25 magnum

That should put you around OG 1.059 with around 55-60 IBU. Should be tasty.

That's way too much of a darker crystal, not nearly enough aroma hops, and Magnum isn't that great of a dry hop.

That's way too much of a darker crystal, not nearly enough aroma hops, and Magnum isn't that great of a dry hop.

I wouldn't call C60 a darker crystal (though C20 or C40 would be equally tasty) and 8% crystal isn't exactly over the top. It's on the low end of IPA territory, OG wise, so some crystal sweetness will prevent the beer from drying out too much and give a nice caramel note.

I like a dry IPA as much as the next guy but we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. It's no Pliny, but not every IPA has to be a Zombie Dust or Heady Topper. If we had more hops to work with, you could go with more late additions, but it's not compulsory. Check out the recipes section- I can see several extremely popular IPA recipes that have 2oz of late additions and less dry hop than my 10 second recipe (See: lakefront clone, Edwort's house IPA and rye IPA, Denny's Wry Smile etc etc).

Also, German Magnum has a nice aroma- I like it as a late addition in combination with other hops.

I wouldn't call C60 a darker crystal (though C20 or C40 would be equally tasty) and 8% crystal isn't exactly over the top. It's on the low end of IPA territory, OG wise, so some crystal sweetness will prevent the beer from drying out too much and give a nice caramel note.

I like a dry IPA as much as the next guy but we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. It's no Pliny, but not every IPA has to be a Zombie Dust or Heady Topper. If we had more hops to work with, you could go with more late additions, but it's not compulsory. Check out the recipes section- I can see several extremely popular IPA recipes that have 2oz of late additions and less dry hop than my 10 second recipe (See: lakefront clone, Edwort's house IPA and rye IPA, Denny's Wry Smile etc etc).

Also, German Magnum has a nice aroma- I like it as a late addition in combination with other hops.

That's cool - I know everyone has their own preferences. I just think that that much crystal is going to take away from the already little amount of hops present.

I would agree with going for a pale ale instead, since it doesn't seem like you have enough for an IPA. However, you can still get a hoppy beer out of this. Use the magnum for bittering, and push the rest as aroma hops.

10 lbs 2 Row
.75 oz Magnum 60 min
1 oz cascade flame out/30 min hop stand
.75 oz centenniel flame out/30 min hop stand
.75 oz centenniel dry hop 4 days
.5 oz simcoe dry hop 4 days

OK, so here's what I went with:

11.5 lbs American 2 row
.5 lbs crystal 40
1.25 oz Magnum 60 min
0.5 oz Nugget 30 min
0.5 oz Casacade 15 min
0.5 oz Centennial 10 min
0.5 oz Cascade flameout
0.75 oz Centennial flameout
0.5 oz Simcoe flameout

5 gallons ended up being 1.056 SG and it's in my fermentation chamber as I type this. I have decided to call this Alabama APA in recognition of the 50th state to legalize homebrewing. I fully support freedom and I'm happy for you Alabama members.

As far as the recipe help, I appreciate that just as much. Thanks a lot for the help guys!

Back