when do I addthe vanilla?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewertodd

Reaction score
Hello all, im interested in doing a vanilla porter. I have the recipe all worked out except at what point in the process do I add the vanilla. This is real vanilla that I soaked the beans in vodka for 8 weeks. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

When I did mine, I soaked the vanilla beans in Makers Mark for a couple days and added the slit beans directly to the secondary. Gave it about a week and it had a great vanilla flavor. The longer it sits the stronger the flavor. Sounds like you made a pure vanilla extract, so the beans are probably spent. You can add it to either the primary or secondary. Give it some time and just taste it.

Right, I made an extract. So, does it make a difference when I add it? Its not going to get any stronger by leaving it in longer because im not adding the beans correct?

Right, I made an extract. So, does it make a difference when I add it? Its not going to get any stronger by leaving it in longer because im not adding the beans correct?

Correct. Although aging will meld and bring out other flavors that you didnt taste when mixing.
If Extended aging is not required i would throw it in the bottling bucket/keg
If your doing a bulk age i would toss it in the secondary and then taste when bottling/kegging and add more if needed.

Back